A couple questions on using the mission editor...

I've bought and played every Combat Mission game since the beginning. But except to just look at and do a simple try it I've never really done anything with the mission editor.

I'm just wondering...

1. Is there a way to edit the tutorial campaign mission to replace the default CMFB units with the just released Downfall late units. Infantry, tanks from the US to the commonwealth?

2. And I've wanted to test certain small unit force on force, but no matter what I try I can't seem to get rid of the required full organization when using the editor. What I mean here is I want to put just a platoon of armor against another platoon of armor or some AT guns but I'm required to put and keep the full organization. I know I can delete certain units and other platoons etc etc, but still can't just have 4 tanks and nothing else.

Any advice on where to look and what to do? (And yes to answer your questions, yes I read the included pdf's, watch some you tube videos but still can't seem to just do a small unit.) (And yes I did a search in this forum first, nothing answering my question. lol)

Those are usually the first couple of comments after a post here. lol

Thanks in advance.

18 minutes ago, Magnum50 said:

I've bought and played every Combat Mission game since the beginning. But except to just look at and do a simple try it I've never really done anything with the mission editor.

I'm just wondering...

1. Is there a way to edit the tutorial campaign mission to replace the default CMFB units with the just released Downfall late units. Infantry, tanks from the US to the commonwealth?

2. And I've wanted to test certain small unit force on force, but no matter what I try I can't seem to get rid of the required full organization when using the editor. What I mean here is I want to put just a platoon of armor against another platoon of armor or some AT guns but I'm required to put and keep the full organization. I know I can delete certain units and other platoons etc etc, but still can't just have 4 tanks and nothing else.

Any advice on where to look and what to do? (And yes to answer your questions, yes I read the included pdf's, watch some you tube videos but still can't seem to just do a small unit.) (And yes I did a search in this forum first, nothing answering my question. lol)

Thanks in advance.

1) nope, not as in keeping their positions after exchange.

2) Using a small formation such as forward observer teams. You can add individual vehicles to that.

16 hours ago, Magnum50 said:

I'm just wondering...

Thanks in advance.

1. Load the tutorial mission into the editor and go to the purchase units screen. Once there, look for the "codes" behind the purchased units. These will indicate which AI plan they belong to, if they are reinforcements or belong to a unit objective. Next purchase the units you wish to be in the mission and assign them the same codes as you see fit. Now go to deploy units. You should see all the "old" units already deployed and the "new" units in a big lump at one end of the screen. Using your best judgement, swap out the old with the new. Once you are done, head back to the purchase screen and delete all the old units. Double check the deploy screen, to confirm everyone is still where you want them. Save the scenario with a new name and you are good to go.

2. Make your purchases in the unit screen and then delete out whatever you can. Then set all other remaining units you don't want to appear as reinforcements. Set their incoming time to be after the end of the battle and they will never show up. While the units will be there on the "deploy" screen in the editor, they will not appear in your actual scenario. 

3. Ask questions. Seriously, there are no dumb questions. Pick your favorite scenario of all time and the person who built it was once like you trying to figure things out. The "pros" at scenario building got good through information sharing and trial and error work. Soon you will find yourself sharing your tips with the community as well.

4. Share your work, please. There are far to many scenarios out there on hard drives never to played because their creator felt they were "not good enough". If you take or modify an existing scenario or map, give credit where it is due, but share your work. The feedback from those willing to offer constructive advice will help you to build even better scenarios.