Gold demo is worse than Beta demo

Did I get your attention? smile.gif What I really mean is that gold demo is far much slower on my 133 mherz than beta demo - in fact, it tokk me five to ten seconds for each clicks. It is almost unplayable as I do not have enough patience to wait for the orders or line to appear and the movies desplay a pictures of five to ten seconds (ie. about ten pictures in a minute). But I have seen how CM works and I like it very much. I will wait for final version to come out (I do not like buying any software on internet - I prefer buying the games from stores). Also I will be getting a bigeer, faster computer next year smile.gif and then CM will work well on it. smile.gif

Damn cheerio

General

PS. Does the beta scenarios like Riesburg and Last Defence works on gold demo?

General,

If you're worried about giving out your credit card over the 'net BTS allows you to pay by check. Contact Steve at Sales@Battlefront.com with the neccesary info to get the ball rolling.

In regards to RB and LD working on the gold, it can't happen (they are coded differently). However, the game will have those 2 scenarios in the improved format.

So, Hurry up and place your order, then run out and buy that bigger and faster computer ahead of time. Trust me, you don't want to be stuck with that dinky 133 and read post after post that say "AWESOME'. "WOW", "INCREDIBLE"

etc, etc... wink.gif

------------------

"I do like to see the arms and legs fly"

What I really mean is that gold demo is far much slower on my 133 mherz than beta demo - much.

Yeah I have a 166 MHz Pentium w/ a 16 meg 3D Voodoo Banshee card, 32 megs of Ram and it can't handle it anymore. The beta demo wasn't any problem but the gold demo is way to slow. May add another 32 megs of ram to see if that helps. If anybody has a similar machine w/o these problems I'd like to hear from you but it looks like it will be Jagged Alliance II for birthday now.

Well, to be fair, a 166 isn't being advertised as a "prime system" for CM.

I think anyone would tell you that a 166 is a damn slow system for CM and that it could, at best, be described as marginal for running CM.

If I were you I'd try reducing the resolution.

Run CM in 800 x 600 instead of 1024 x 768 and you'll see a massive improvement in speed ( maybe up to double the speed).

Guest Rommel21

Hey

I have a 300 pII with 64 mb of Ram, a vodoo 2 (12mb). It work perfect, no slowdowns and no glitches. It takes miliseconds for the arrows and order to be issued. HEHE

I am getting a new computer in june though. Some games run slow on this computer too. I am getting a 800mhz Athalon with GeForce sdr 128mb of ram from Dell. ONLINE, haha.

Hey Patton, you should get a 800mhz system, not from a store. I work at a coputer store and stores overprice their products by 300 sometimes even 500 dollars. TRUST me, I am getting my system from Dell. They have the best deals.

<<Well, to be fair, a 166 isn't being advertised as a "prime system" for CM.

If I were you I'd try reducing the resolution.>>

I having looked at the latest sys req lately, but you may have a point about the resolution. I spent my computer dollars on a 19 inch monitor. My resolution is set at 1154 X 768 (or something like that). Anyway I'll have to experiment. Thanks for quick reply.

Ebaker..

That's it...

Your resolution is the culprit.

there's a direct relationship between increasing resolution and lower framerates and speed.

Basically I find 1024 x 768 a tad slow on my computer and so play in 950something by 7something now... So long as no-one drops an huge barrage of artillery on my position the game skips along quite nicely on this resolution....

If I play at 1240 x 1024 ( as I have the capability of doing) then the number of frames per second can drop by 75% or more versus what I get at 950something by 7something.

Guest Ol' Blood & Guts

Geez! Fellas. Quit spending your money on old dinosaurs and upgrade your system altogether. Anything under a P200 isn't going to run much these days anyway. You can get a Gateway Athlon 700 for $1299. But of course, I wouldn't wish a Gateway off on anybody. wink.gif

Of course the Gold Demo doesn't run well on a 133. I wouldn't dream of even TRYING to run it on such. You really need to look at preferred requirements for any game. Minimum requirements are just that. If you don't have at least the recommended requirements, you're cutting yourself short.

Before my current system Celeron 433, I had a P-120, over two years ago. Hell it was obsolete then! I wouldn't dream of running anything newer than 1998 games on that. My current system is already a year old. By this time next year I'll need to think about upgrading again. I also tend to get the best possible system I can get at the time without getting into the ridiculous money range.

------------------

"Why don't we say that we took this one chance, and fought!"

"Stupid humans. Hahahahahahaha!"

--from the film Battlefield Earth

Yeah, I really have to agree with OB&G. Upgrade. All your computing activities will be nicer. New motherboards can be had for well under $100 and take your pick of CPU's. You don't even need the latest and greatest, if $$$ is a problem, try getting an AMD 450, or a Celeron, or something in that "last year" category. They can be found for under $100 as well. I upgraded a friends PC from a 133 to a 400 for less than $140. Time to retire the fossils and come join us in the year 2000. You'll be much happier.

Chris

Guest Blacksilver

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ol' Blood & Guts:

But of course, I wouldn't wish a Gateway off on anybody<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now, have you actually owned a Gateway? I bought a P100 in late 1995 for word processing, casual net surfing, and so the kids could play Reader Rabbit. My interests changed, and I ended up converting this little home machine into a fully functional, decent quality SCSI-based MIDI and digital audio recording studio. I added a SCSI card (hooked up to 3 external devices), hard drive, much memory, Digital Audio Labs Card D+, ADAT interfact card, a dedicated 4x4 MIDI interface, and upgraded the processor.

That machine never so much as burped, and nobody from Gateway ever hesitated about giving me support for applications that machine was never intended to run. When I went to upgrade, the only thing I could get that was substantially better was a $14,000 Mac.

Now I've got my girlfriend's freakin' DELL sitting here as my home computer. You upgrade the CD-ROM drive and the video card, and the thing has a melt down. It's 2 years old, and Dell has all but renounced it.

Sorry. I don't usually do hardware debates, but I have a soft spot for Gateway. I'd buy another in a minute. biggrin.gif

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>On May 8 Nazi Germany surrendered unconditionally. We we told this momentious news . . . "So what" was typical of the remarks I heard around me.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

--Pfc. Eugene Sledge, K/3/5, Okinawa

[This message has been edited by Blacksilver (edited 05-14-2000).]

Guest Ol' Blood & Guts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Blacksilver:

Now, have you actually owned a Gateway? Yada, yada, yada. biggrin.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So what? You've got a consumer built PC in a Gateway case. rolleyes.gif

Yes, I've heard bad things about Dell as well.

The integrated motherboard/video chip/sound processor thing is not for me.

------------------

"Why don't we say that we took this one chance, and fought!"

"Stupid humans. Hahahahahahaha!"

--from the film Battlefield Earth

Well currently I’m paying to 1) have a truck rear end rebuilt 2) a lawyer in a custody fight and 3) replace the AC in another vehicle. Since all 3 of my vehicles are paid for I guess that gives you an idea that I don’t pay for things that depreciate - lightly. I routinely wait until a game falls in price. After all most games require patches so why be a post game release beta (?) tester. Zamo I’m not sure about the $140 upgrade price, but I have machine that can get on the Internet and perform Word Processing so it should make a perfectly adequate college computer for a stepdaughter in a couple years. Time will tell. I’ve not kept up with motherboards and chipsets for a last year so I’ll have to study the situation before buying anything. Plan on finding a new motherboard but using an older CPU as you suggest Zamo, but I’m not in any hurry hell its just a game after all. Afterwards I can replace the CPU with a faster one, as did with this motherboard.

Fionn the resolution change helped but not enough, even at 640 X 480.

Still despite the above it was my intention to support BTS and buy the game shortly after release. Wargaming is a hobby and military history is something I enjoy. Shucks I’ve worked on the Ageis class cruisers for Ingalls Shipbuilding, currently I work for the Air Force, and I might take a job working for the Coast Guard. Have fun an I’ll be in position to buy CM2 - hopefully. : )

Concerning the Gateway issue, I agree with Ol’ Blood & Guts. My first PC was a 486 Gateway. Didn’t have a problem with it. Shoot pieces of it are in my current machine (3 1/2 floppy and ISA sound card), but since then I’ve experienced nothing but poor parts, compatibility, and service on several Gateways.

I have to agree completely with Panzerleader,

build your own computer or have a freind do it, those gateways can not be upgraded, their all proprietary, meaning most of whats in there stays there, build your own and the possibilities are limitless. plus you can pick your own products and there's tons to choose from. And then when you upgrade you only have to change your motherboard processor, video card , and your practically there, and at big savings.

Guest Blacksilver

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ol' Blood & Guts:

So what? You've got a consumer built PC in a Gateway case. rolleyes.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh, I'm sorry. I thought the point was that when I bought the Gateway I got:

+Flawless performance as delivered

+Major upgradability

+Superb customer service

+A price significantly lower than the cumulative street price of the components

What was I thinking?? Of course it was a piece of crap, OB&G!! I should have known.

Hardware snobs always tell you to build your own. I've done that, and frankly it's more trouble than it's worth for most people. You can buy a perfectly good machine (there's a reason Gateway and Dell are still around) with name brand quality parts that is more than powerful enough to run Combat Mission or any other application the average user needs. And unless your brother-in-law lets you use his reseller's license, you can usually get if for less than you can build a comparable machine, because they buy the parts for less than you can.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>On May 8 Nazi Germany surrendered unconditionally. We were told this momentious news . . . "So what" was typical of the remarks I heard around me.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

--Pfc. Eugene Sledge, K/3/5, Okinawa

Guest Kettle Black

I play on a P166 with a Voodoo1 4 meg card, 64 megs of RAM. This is how to make it work:

1. Forget the eye-candy. If you can't afford a new sys yet (like me) you go for functionality.

2. In W95. Go to Settings/Control Panel/System. Click the Performance tab. Choose to run your puter as a network server. This frees up a load of resources.

3. Disable all anti-virus progs and everything else you have running on startup. When you hit ctrl-alt-delete the only applications you want to see are explorer and systray.

4. Do not run any programs prior to starting CM without rebooting first.

5. Go for the 640x480 resolution. Functionality, remember?

6. Disable: Transparent buildings, ambient sound, Hi-res smoke, and anything else you don't think you need. CM is brilliant in that you always get the info you need anyway.

7. Kill away.

Hope this is of some help.

K-B