BMW R75 & Zundap 750

Guest Captitalistdoginchina

Hi,

I was wondering why BTS did not include the BMW R75 or Zundap 750 motorbike and sidecar into CM.

I am not asking because i think they should be included but because i am interested in these bikes, i have a BMW R75 replica with sidecar which i will be painting Wermahcht Green later this year. We have a club in Shanghai and ride at weekends.

It would have been cool to see these things buzzing around in CM.

CDIC

------------------

"Death solves all problems - no man no problem"

J.V.Stalin, 1918

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Captitalistdoginchina:

It would have been cool to see these things buzzing around in CM.

CDIC

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Buzzing around and doing... what? Aside from generating more targets for tank turrets to twitch back and forth and the TacAI constantly debating how much of a threat they are? Their x-country performance would be much less than a Kubel, so arty spotters wouldn't get much use from them, and as far as an 'mg' platform... only Hollywood uses them to any great extent.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tailz:

Buzzing around and doing... what? Aside from generating more targets for tank turrets to twitch back and forth and the TacAI constantly debating how much of a threat they are? Their x-country performance would be much less than a Kubel, so arty spotters wouldn't get much use from them, and as far as an 'mg' platform... only Hollywood uses them to any great extent.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Who needs utility when you've got style? Motorcycles in CM would be cool. What more do you need?

-Lurker

These bikes had two wheel drive and quite a good off road capability as well, excellent for recon and .........er, buzzing around making a niucance of itself! Most had a MG 34 or MG 42 machinegun mounted. now if BTS wanted a sound recording of the Engine - well that i could supply!!

CDIC

PS. I see another thread started on this subject after this one......is it contagious or what?

------------------

J.V.Stalin, 1918

Guest Michael emrys

If you can be patient enough to wait for CM3 and 4 you will probably see lots of MCs. In the early war years, the Germans put entire battalions on MCs; so did other nationalities. So I don't see how they could be left out. I think as late as the end of '42 they were still being used in recon battalions. Heck, you may well see them in CM2, for that matter.

But from 1943 on I think they were withdrawn from frontline use, which is why you don't see them in CMBO. They were used then only by messengers and MPs.

Michael

[This message has been edited by Michael emrys (edited 08-27-2000).]

Guest Big Time Software

Correct. They were used for liason at this point in the war. Germans found that they were not very good once they met up with an enemy that actually resisted smile.gif German recon units in the Soviet Union did not perform as well as they had in the West, mostly because of the lack of roads. Armored cars and halftracks were used to substitute for the motorcycles.

CDIC, the bike you have is gaining some popularity here in the US because of how similar they are to the real deal. IIRC, they were made under contract and therefore were made to the same specifications.

Steve

Exports to USA are doing well.

The Original owners club (BMW) in Germany order their spare parts from here because all the manufacturing uses original specifications. Only lights and so on were added to the original design to make them street legal. The Chinese military still use them although now they are only available with a single rear drive....and a reverse gear.

I visited the factory in Nanchang last year and was surprised to see them assembled by the Nanchang Aircraft factory - alongside modern Jet Fighters.

Nowadays you can buy a brand new bike with sidecar for a little more than US$ 2,000 complete with 12 month warranty. Only available in black or Army (Chinese) Green.

We are making our own military mods here, we manufactured an additional military fuel tank and ammo boxes for the sidecar. We also have a paintshop under my control and we have painted about a dozen bikes in different colour schemes.

These are FUN with a capital F.

CDIC

------------------

J.V.Stalin, 1918

Hell ya hadda go and remind me, frown.gif My Opa brought his Zundapp home from the war, used to keep in the storage shed of his friend the corner butcher, Oma sold it for 100 Dm after he passed away, I was in the Army at the time and couldn't get leave to go and save it frown.gif It was still in Heeres colors and ran like a top.

------------------

Pzvg

"Murphy's law of combat #10, never forget your weapon is made by the lowest bidder

Guest Michael emrys

CDIC, what kind of identifying marks (manufacturers logo, etc.) do the Chinese bikes (trikes?) carry? What you are desribing sounds like something I saw around my town several times earlier this year.

Michael

PSVG,

Wow you missed a great opportunity my friend. The originals are worth much more!!

Michael Emrys,

The ones from china are called Chang Jiang's (We call em CJ's) and have a crude sticker on the fuel tank and sidecar - most people pull of the sticker ASAP and replace it with a BMW badge! Other than that there are no permanent markings. It could also be a Russian version which again is very similar and still in production i believe - but i do not know what markings the Russian bikes have.

CDIC

Guest Michael emrys

Thanks, CDIC. If I come across that machine again, I will examine it closely for identifying marks. If anything interesting turns up, I will mention it. Best of all would be a chat with its owner, but I've never seen anyone with it when it wasn't moving down the street.

Michael

17,635 units had been delivered and invoiced to the Wehrmacht up to March 1944 inclusive, but component shortages from subsuppliers and a few air raid strikes on the factories in Munich and Eisenach reduced the production in 1943 somewhat.

The bikes were used extensively until the end of the war in various roles.

CDIC

------------------

J.V.Stalin, 1918

Michael,

The Russian bikes are called "Ural" The Ural's are quite similar to the Chang Jiang.

CDIC

------------------

J.V.Stalin, 1918

I think they market them in the west as the Ural since they (eventually) figured out nine out of ten westerners can't pronounce Dnepr. Looks neat but it's utter crap. Don't know about the Chinese version.

Me, I want me one of them Indian Enfields. 70,000 Rupees will get ya one wink.gif

------------------

Sounds like 100% weapons-grade bolonium to me.

Hi Babra,

When you consider that they are using 1937 technology it is crap by todays standards. They leak, misfire and overheat when idling for long periods or stuck in traffic. The design of the components have not changed at all.

However after a few mods they can be great fun. I cut open the exhaust pipes and removed the baffles - they are now straight thru pipes!! Sounds great. We have installed heat insulation shields between the Carbs and cylinders to prevent fuel overheating in the carbs from heat transfer which stops the misfires and installed Bosch spark plugs.

Plus a host of other home made mods - 8 of us traveled to Huang Shan (Yellow Mountains) in east china, a distance of 500kms each way without any breakdowns.....well we did have a minor mishap but that was due to driver error....ahem. Remember that these are cheap to repair and run - an Engine overhaul including parts and labour (With new pistons, rings, cylinders and heads) will cost about Thirty Dollars (US$).

Cheap fun by any standards.

CDIC

------------------

J.V.Stalin, 1918