Army? Navy? Marines? Help from ex-servicemen needed!

WOW! Lot's of advice for you Minnesota... First off, I wish you luck in whatever choice you make. You have your whole exciting life in front of you. It may be a little scary, but it is hopefully also an exhilarting time for you. Well, here's my 2 cents. I did both! I went to college following graduation. I was a B/C student in high school as well. My folks didn't have a lot of assets, so I was fortunate enough to qualify for a number of grants, as well as Guaranteed Student Loans (which you shouldn't forget about). I learned volumes of book smart types of things there.

I made the unfortunate miscalculation of starting a family while a student. Regardless, graduating with a BS in Biology in '84 didn't have a lot of earning potential to support a family, and I certainly didn't have the cash to proceed on to a Masters, but I had to do "something". I wasn't going to sling hash or work at a department store (which I ended up doing for a short time) in a dead-end minimum wage job. To make a long story longer, I got the idea to join the Armed Forces as an O-ganger through OCS (Officers Candidate School). Well, my naivete toward a person in uniform (recruiter) led me to believe that they weren't "permitted" to stretch the truth (hate to call them liars wink.gif )... I still had to pay for my last semester of school, and my transcripts wouldn't be released until it was, so the Armed Forces wouldn't recognize my college degree without the pigskin.... There was a little program called "Nuclear Power" in the Navy I could get started with until such time that I had my paper in hand. I decided to go for it and fortunately, the gist of how the nuclear program works wasn't misrepresented. The OCS deal fell through due to "Needs of the Navy", but I got the picture. It's a six year committment... Don't get me wrong, it's six years of hard work and lots of sh*t eating, but at the end, it all pays off. I was a Nuke ET (Electronics Technician). Nuke Electricians and Machinist Mates are also available, but don't choose these if you're lazy biggrin.gif... Advancement is fast, as I left after 5yrs9months (Early out) of active duty as an ET1. I was on Boomers (SSBN644G), which is three months of underwater time, followed by three months of shorebased training/R&R, then the cycle repeats... ad nauseum. The only "World" I saw was Scotland, as we picked up our sub at Holy Loch (flew from Charleston). But there are over 100 operating Nuclear Units in the US alone. Since most plants are multi-unit, that probably breaks down to around 50 potential employers just looking for quality, qualified employees. The Nuclear Navy delivers these employees. I've been at my particular plant for almost 9 years now and my annual salary is in the 70-80K range. I may have learned book smarts at college, but the military taught me the rest. Dealing with difficult people and situations was a daily evolution. The bottom line is this: IF you do choose military, I would implore you to choose a branch that will teach you a bona fide job with real world applications. Loading weapons on an F/A 18 may have a certain amount of appeal, but what will it qualify you for in your life after the military? No offense to Blackhorse's consideration offered in a previous post, but how many positions are out there in the civilian world for tank drivers? That's why I'm a simmer biggrin.gif. When I want to do all the exciting stuff, like drive tanks, fly planes, or shoot people from 300 yds, I turn to my 'puter. Even if you're a career man, all that will qualify you for is a generic managerial position, probably with a government contractor... IF you do go military, PLEASE make sure that when the recruiter offers you something that looks good to you... GET IT IN WRITING. Words are fine, but a signed piece of paper is an official US document. It cannot be rescinded unless you fall down on your end of the deal. Well, once again, good luck, and choose well... I have no regrets.

My advice would be don't join the combat arms field unless you are truly dedicated to the service. If you’re joining for college benefits then go into a technical or trade based MOS (Military Occupational Specialty). I was 0311 (Infantry). I joined because I wanted to Serve my country and be a United States Marine. The CAF will demand strict discipline, require higher levels of physical fitness, and you will spend more time on-duty without substantial pay compensation. In my experience, the people who complained and bitched the most (in combat arms) were the same ones that joined to get something from the Marines, not give. I don’t think there is anything wrong with getting something for your time in service. But if you go combat arms, be ready to give a lot, including your life. I consider my time in service to my country as a Marine to be one of the most rewarding experiences I've had to date (excluding my Family life).

Good luck in whatever you do. If you do it to the best of your ability, and always strive for that next level, you won’t go wrong.

------------------

Semper Fi.

[This message has been edited by Jarhead (edited 08-11-2000).]

“Military is all about old people using the young people to become more powerfull and to sleep with their GFs.

Old guys don't die during war they need young guys to die for them.” -Killmore

I’ll assume you're joking. But in case you're not. I am enjoying the freedoms of the United States because of the People before me. Old and Young, they suffered and many died to give me the opportunities I have today. And had they all had your mind-set, My life would have been much different then it has been. Furthermore,I am endebted to all the men and women who placed their precious lives at stake, so I can live free and unmolested by forces domestic or foreign who would take that from me. The only thing that stopped Hitler from doing this were the old and young people that believed somethings were worth dying for.

M. Joe. It looks to me that most of the posters gave you excellent advice (colored by their service preferences wink.gif).

Mine to you as a retiree from the Army Reserve is do what is right for you. Go for a tour (in whatever branch you choose) to get the GI benefits or stay in as a lifer...choice is yours. Whichever you take will reap you benefits. Up to you to make the most of them.

I salute you for taking this path, it sure has served me well.

except in spellun' wink.gif

------------------

unca pathy will show ya the path,

if only he could find it himself!

[This message has been edited by pathfinder (edited 08-12-2000).]

I'm a 12 year Army vet,and I completly agree with those who said the best of people and the worst of people. Also you may think you have a high tolerance for B.S. but military B.S. is a TOTALLY different animal. Having said that, I wouldn't trade my time on active duty for anything. The military can be a great experience,just remember that when you're pulling guard at 2AM in pouring rain with 7 hours to go. smile.gif

------------------

Nicht Schiessen!!

MJ:

There is also snother option. Go to college using the ROTC program. They will help you pay for school, plus you only have a commitment of 4 years. I'm a Armor officer for a Div. Cav Squadron. I've been both a Tank Platoon Leader and a Scout Platoon Leader. I've also been deployed 4 times in 3 years. Make sure you really know what you want to do. ROTC allows you to do the school upfront, while enlisting allows you to do school at the end. Either course is worth while, just figure out what your goals (nearterm and long term) are and set the course that's right for you. Anway, Good Luck!

-Scout's Out

Generally good opinions here. As a former Marine, I can only go with what I know. Any Marine would really only have one answer for you, and every Marine here has already said it. I met the best people I have ever known while serving as a Marine tanker. Absolutely the BEST. Not a one of them was "crazy". With all due respect to my comrades in the other services, I think a person would have to be crazy to serve in any combat arms unit that wasn't a Marine unit. I KNOW every Marine near me in combat will do everything he can to save my ass, even after it's nothing but a gut pile. It's not just hype, it's historically verifiable fact. The Marines are family. Semper Fi, lads!

There are fine men (and women I'm told) in every service, and I must agree with those who have said you get out of it what you put in. What ever choice you make, make it with earnest and absolute conviction and you won't be sorry.

My only additional advice is go combat arms. Be the cutting edge, make a difference. Sure, it's dangerous, but that's what the military is all about. If you don't want to risk getting shot at, go get a job at MacDonalds. The pay will be about the same.

Combat arms units in the Army tend to be filled with the same motivated individuals you find in corrosponding Marine units from what I've seen. The biggest difference, is Marines get a more aggressive style of training, and the Army gets all the new gear.

I have known many Navy vets, and most of them have a kind of "hi-ho" sort of attitude about it. Considering it a job they did. I don't even consider the Air Force a military entity. Sorry fly-boys, that's my earnest opinion. Good luck. And keep your head down.

Sgt. Zamo

Guest barrold713

My wife was an Army Nurse (early out as 0-3) and I was Navy Nuke Engineering Lab Tech so we have experience in both services. My wife had a good experience and I seem to remember things more fondly than they were at the time. I was on USS Nimitz from 85 to 88 and we did a lot of sea time, but I did get to stop in quite a few fun ports. They did not have all of the incentive programs at the time, but like most situations you can make the best or worst out of your time. The Army uniforms are cooler though and I always felt the Navy dress uniforms were kind of fruity to wear.