Suppress effect in nearby tiles

I am aware of the effects of suppression when you area target a tile, but I am a bit unclear on what is the effect in the adjacent or close-by tiles. As in:

1. Think of a 3-stories building. If I area targer the middle floor, will troops in floors 1 and 2 suffer suppression? Viz, firing at a building has the effect of supressing everyone inside?

2. Shooting short above troops' heads, though bullets are flying further away, generates suppression? Ex.: if I cant get a solid shot to aim and lock on trops in the ground laying prone, but I can shoot the side of a barn some 100m behind them and have bullets graze just above them, does that suppress?

27 minutes ago, Daniel Prates said:

I am aware of the effects of suppression when you area target a tile, but I am a bit unclear on what is the effect in the adjacent or close-by tiles. As in:

1. Think of a 3-stories building. If I area targer the middle floor, will troops in floors 1 and 2 suffer suppression? Viz, firing at a building has the effect of supressing everyone inside?

2. Shooting short above troops' heads, though bullets are flying further away, generates suppression? Ex.: if I cant get a solid shot to aim and lock on trops in the ground laying prone, but I can shoot the side of a barn some 100m behind them and have bullets graze just above them, does that suppress?

Replay a mission you have played on Hotseat against yourself. That way you find out the various issues you are facing. Not that I wouldn't like to tell you but this way you never forget. It is the way I do it and make the game more enjoyable. You can save every turn and replay the different options. I found out for example to do area fire with a squad against units hidden in a building is next to useless. 

Edited by chuckdyke

5 hours ago, Daniel Prates said:

1. Yep suppressive fire has somewhat of an area effect on buildings. So if you target the 2nd floor of a building, 1st and 3rd floor will be affected too though maybe not as strong as the 2nd.

If you want to be sure to really suppress certain floors, you should fire on all of them individually. 

2. The passing bullets have to be close to the enemies heads but yes you can do that because the path of bullets are tracked individually. 

But it adds to the suppression if the bullets hit something over their heads. So if some bullets hit some trees in close proximity to the enemy squad while other rounds pass straight over it has more of an effect. 

I find this tactic especially useful in areas with hills. While you might not be able to area fire the tile the enemy unit is standing on, you might just be able to target the rising slope of a hill just behind them. :)

You can work with ricochets as well, though it might be not as practical. It is at least good to have it in mind. 

Bullets can bounce off of stone walls, vehicles, the ground and buildings and will have a suppressive effect on anything that is in their path... and of course they are still lethal. 

I had one 7,62mm M60 round (CM Cold War) that bounced of of 2 BMP making somewhat of a 90° turn and injuring one of my advancing soviets. :D

Edited by Brille

3 hours ago, Brille said:

You can work with ricochets as well, though it might be not as practical. It is at least good to have it in mind. 

Bullets can bounce off of stone walls, vehicles, the ground and buildings and will have a suppressive effect on anything that is in their path... and of course they are still lethal. 

I had one 7,62mm M60 round (CM Cold War) that bounced of of 2 BMP making somewhat of a 90° turn and injuring one of my advancing soviets. :D

As an adjacent point to this, ricochets are dangerous to everyone, not just "those other guys". Generally, you don't need to worry about sub-50cal rounds causing friendly fire, but as soon as they bounce off something, they forget who fired 'em.