Won't run on Surface Pro 6 running Windows 11 Home

I was able to download and activate CMBN just fine, but when I try to actually play the game, it won't go past the initial title screen...just shuts down.  I need this for a class project so I'm pretty desperate.  Anyone have ideas on how to solve this?

As Redwolf pointed out, the Microsoft Surface Pro 6 is running an Intel UHD Graphics 620 (built into the CPU). Intel drivers have a notorious history with OpenGL when it comes to Combat Mission. Some drivers work and many do not. I don't think anyone has kept track of the ones that do work (they can come from laptop/motherboard manufacturers or Intel itself).

When it comes to Intel integrated graphics you may be stuck with whatever Microsoft provides (which is true with many other laptop manufacturers). You can try the Intel provided drivers, but there is a chance that they will refuse to install on the Surface since it may be considered an 'OEM product' that will have its own drivers (again, what Microsoft provides). Here's the latest (and likely last) set of drivers from Intel for the UHD Graphics 620 that supports Windows 11 (the .exe version may be simpler to install):

Intel UHD Graphics 620 (Windows 10 & 11) v. 31.0.101.2115

Again, there's a significant chance that this driver will refuse to install, not recognizing the graphics. If that ends up being the case you'll be stuck with what Microsoft provides, which includes 'Windows Update'-provided drivers.

The latest 'driver package' from Microsoft may or may not update what you have currently. It may be geared simply towards Windows 10 and may not provide anything for Windows 11:

Surface Pro 6 Driver Pack Update (last)

Even if either of these drivers work, there is no guarantee that they will support OpenGL at the level that Combat Mission may need. If they do work, then you will likely notice some graphical "smudging"/corruption of text wherever it appears in the game. It will also likely result in slow load times and mediocre performance. This is simply true of Intel integrated video across the board and not something unique to the Surface Pro.