Target light bug?

PEB14

The MG in the back is not meant for offensive usage, more like a self defence/ anti air purpose.

To use this mg you would have to turn the vehicle at least 90° to the enemy, exposing the rest of the crew on the gun.

The MG will fire when enemy units pop up behind it but you have no direct control over it.

I guess it is rather an engine or gameplay limitation. Some people maybe would use it driving backwards to the enemy to fire the MG, once the ammo for the gun ran low.

This would be hardly realistic because you would expose the other crewmembers, the gun and the vehicle itself.

It is the same with some US tanks, that have their roof mounted MG in an odd direction or mount. They may be able to use them but only very limited, since their main purpose was in an anti air role. (M10 for example)

3 hours ago, Brille said:

The MG in the back is not meant for offensive usage, more like a self defence/ anti air purpose.

All those American .50 were meant for AA use, but they were extensively used for attacking ground targets.

German halftracks and other vehicles often had MG42 for the same purpose, but for some reason they have all been removed in CM.

18 hours ago, PEB14 said:

Got ammo, the gunner is in position… So what???

Did you try clicking "open up" and targeting a spot behind the vehicle?

2 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

All those American .50 were meant for AA use, but they were extensively used for attacking ground targets.

Even those that require a crewmember or infantryman to hop on top of the heck of the tank to fire it effectively ? I mean I remember the scene from Band of Brothers but was this really that common practice for a combat mission ?

I know of mount configurations where it is more comfortable for the crew to fire those MG, while not exposing that much of their body (directly in front of the exit hatches ) . Any chance you mean those ?

German halftracks and other vehicles often had MG42 for the same purpose, but for some reason they have all been removed in CM.

Those Fla-MG were usually taken with the panzergrenadiers/mounted infantry once they dismount, so I guess it´s some kind of engine limitation.

Well, the problem is, as you can see on the screen capture, it is impossible to seclect "Target Light", the option simply doesn't exist!! So I just cannot try to select a target, whatever its position…

Interestingly, later in the game, both the MG and the gun were fired at the same target, which was roughly at 2 or 3 o'clock from the vehicle axis.

So the MG is operational and it does have an operational arc a little bigger than what you describe.

Anyway, the impossibility to use "Target Light" sounds like a bug to me!

2 hours ago, PEB14 said:

Well, the problem is, as you can see on the screen capture, it is impossible to seclect "Target Light", the option simply doesn't exist!! So I just cannot try to select a target, whatever its position…

Interestingly, later in the game, both the MG and the gun were fired at the same target, which was roughly at 2 or 3 o'clock from the vehicle axis.

So the MG is operational and it does have an operational arc a little bigger than what you describe.

Anyway, the impossibility to use "Target Light" sounds like a bug to me!

Didn´t see the pintle mount there but yes, in theory, if the shield wasn´t there, it could be fired 360°. But still it is faced backwards in standard, so it´s main purpose would be to cover the rear and/or air not for offensive maneuvers.

By the way Iam more bothered that the italian AS42 vehicles don´t have the "target light" option despite it´s MG facing right at it´s front. It´s main purpose would be to guard from air attacks too but in this case would be very easily usable to fire at ground targets as well.