T30 HMC in indirect fire mode

PEB14

Hi,

I'm clearly missing a point here. I'm unable to request indirect fire on useful areas with my T30 HMC halftrack.

An example:

LOS-copie.thumb.jpg.5eb27f36fc6a7b7a95c5b0afce19b4d2.jpg

My observer has a clear LOS to the target.

NoLOS-copie.thumb.jpg.e9ca90c846412c94e8cba45ac918e879.jpg

I am able to get in touch with the T30, but now I've got no LOS nor LOF anymore to the very same spot?!

HMCposition-copie.thumb.jpg.98b93c6cdaff4076a0ed8d8f6e2acda8.jpg

Here's the T30, no C2 issue (otherwise I couldn't get in touch with him anyway), The T30 is opened up (just in case it matters)…

OKbeyondHMCLOS-copie.thumb.jpg.86d68b75a8d53421c1afe47a58af9d3c.jpg

Side view. T30 on the left, observer on the right. A small ridge in between them. Still, I can ask for indirect fire to a point between the observer and the T30, out of LOS of the T30 ?! But I've tried any target beyond the observer, nada. No way. I also tried with a Co HQ observer, with similar results. Strangely, I can use my on-map mortar in this configuration.

My best guess is that the whole area at the bottom of the valley beyond the observer is a blind area to the T30, considering the possible trajectory of the shells at the T30 gun's max elevation. But in a previous turn I tried to target an enemy unit at mid-slope on the other side of the valley, but I couldn't target it either…

Any clue?

16 minutes ago, chuckdyke said:

The halftrack is too close by. No LOF means no line of fire because of the trajectory of the howitzer. Solution use a mortar. On map the howitzer is only useful for direct fire. 

That's what I suspected, but the allowed target in my last caption is very suspect!!!

Well, A T30 in direct fire only, against a Flakvierling in the German side… Looks like I will add yet another chapter to my crystal tanks story! 😜

Edited by PEB14

8 hours ago, PEB14 said:

That's what I suspected, but the allowed target in my last caption is very suspect!!!

Well, A T30 in direct fire only, against a Flakvierling in the German side… Looks like I will add yet another chapter to my crystal tanks story! 😜

I had it with a German 75mm field gun. You could at the start plot a preplanned mission but not during the game.

8 hours ago, chuckdyke said:

I had it with a German 75mm field gun. You could at the start plot a preplanned mission but not during the game.

You could start a preplanned mission at the beginning of the game with on-board artillery, but you couldn't do it afterwards only because of trajectories issues? It makes no sense at all, wether at the start or thereafter, impossible trajectories remain impossible!🤨

1 minute ago, PEB14 said:

It makes no sense at all,

There are more things which don't make sense. My favorite is Soviet C2 in the game, I rely on hypothetical field telephones. At least somebody with expertise could offer advice on how it operated in WW2. In the meantime, happy gaming.