opening combat mission for modders

Since the Comabat Mission I series is going to be

obsolete, would it be impossible to fully open it to modders? This would enable such unseen theatres

of war as Norway, Low Countries, Poland and France

to be fully introduced to the CM-series. Wiht correct 3d-models etc.

I think I can actually see the logic to this, come to think of it.

However, it is possible CM:C will keep the CMX1 brand alive for a few years to come...?

Otherwise, having seen what 3-D modellers have done for Operation FLASHPOINT and other games...yeah, why not. Could be an amazing experience. Unless it helps them unlock the CMX2 code.

Not possible without a lot of work on our part. The way models were created, imported, and finalized was extremely messy and prone to failure. After a few hundred we kinda got the hang of it :D Uhm, and this is why we've done things very differently in the CMx2 engine. Still a lot of work, but it is the sort of work that doesn't involve hours of looking for a rogue polygon that makes a turret rotate without its gun or drive with its wheels going in the wrong direction or float above the terrain or any number of other brutal problems we had. Ack... just remembering this gives me indigestion tongue.gif

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

A dream would be to get my hands on the source code. Not possible but anyway. I think there is some stuff that could be done without changing any graphics or models. Don't know how well wrtitten it was but I would like to try to merge the battle animations into one complete set that could be played from start to finish. I would like to play test scenarios with all units shown but with the AI thinking it's full fog of war. I would like to have a better way of indication of visible areas on the map from a unit during setup.

But at least knowing the format of the scenariofiles would be a big thing. A lot of community-tools would probably be written, like map-extractors, map-mergers, map-plotters etc.

Releasing the source code would of course probably compromise PBEM and Tournament Save and ruin a lot of fun. Too bad.