Question about by on matrix

coachjohn

On 1/31/2023 at 11:19 AM, coachjohn said:

The matrix site only llist the windows version. Can i buy from matrix and use the mac version like on the battlefront site.  (I have a matrix anniversary coupon - significant savings)

Also if not - does it run on parallels

I am a Mac user and beta testers. There will not be Mac versions on Matrix/Slitherene unfortunately. No tournaments or PBEM++ for Macs. But that is consistent with any other games as well. 

As for Parallels, YES, it will run. Will you like it? Possibly. I have a 2018 MacBook pro and using that I can run any scenario at Best resolution just fine. I've tried to use Parallels for Cold War during the PBEM++ addition and even with Between Two Farhbahns, performance was extremely poor. Jerky, halting movement, slow graphics redraw, for instance when you move the camera forward and farther scenery renders more detail - very slow and halting. Overall it was an unsatisfying experience. I run many other games and scientific computationally intensive software using Parallels, but CM just has poor performance.

One caveat. My MacBook is a few years old. It's possible that on a new M1 or M2 its might do better. Also, mine does not have a separate GPU. That's a problem for CM in Windows, but it's not for a Mac, same processor. If you have a higher end Mac with a GPU, it will most likely work ok. 

Hope that helps you.

Dave

Edited by Ultradave

It also runs in Parallels for me on Intel. It will not run on Apple Silicon Macs with Parallels.

It runs well enough to answer a couple PBEM moves. But I have the very last Intel Macbook Pro with the faster one of the i9s and the big AMD graphics chip. It runs native Mac CMx2 very well, but in Parallels it is just usable, not necessarily fun.