Wargames scare me.

Like, on the scale of a phobia. The very site of a spreadsheet full of numbers, facts and details makes me quaver. My brain errs on the lesser side of logical, I curse math on a regular basis, and I know practically nothing about any kind of real-world military tactics.

But, real-world military tactics are cool. So cool in fact that I always read wargame reviews, even though I don't understand half the discussions, just because the genre itself intrigues me.

What is this getting to? It's a thanks. A big, fat thanks to BTS for building a game that lets me fight cool fights without having to know anything about my units beyond "big gun shoots far, little gun shoots not so far." I can play this game using my basic knowledge, and that means that I'm starting to get interested in some of the details, it means I want to know more about the inner workings of my units...

And that means, you've created a war-gamer BTS smile.gif And thank you.

Yeah...cool isn't it? I think it's more authentic that way. How did you feel the first time you realized that your Sherman "medium tank" won't cut it in a slug-fest with a Panther? Probably only a fraction of the terror a green tank crew in real life would have felt, but now you can sympathize.

Yeah...when CM is the first wargame you really get into (like it was for me), it's like you learn at the same pace the fighting men did in real life.

An on top of that, while CM is incredibly sophisticated, you don't have to know tables and meaningless data. You can simplify it down to real life concepts like "trees provide cover" or "Hellcats are fast". I doubt any of the soldiers in WWII had armor penatration tables to go by, and in this game you don't look at them to be successful. Just as in real life, Trial and error provide all the nessesary lessons.

Guest MantaRay

"big gun shoots far, little gun shoots not so far."

LOL, it's not the size of the gun, just the impact that counts.

Ray

------------------

When asked, "How many moves do you see ahead?", CAPABLANCA replied: "One move - the best one."

New CM Site. In process of switching. Brought to you by Hardcore Gamers Daily

The Red Army of the Rugged Defense Group Ladder

I want to add my name to the list of happy campers. Thank you for an outstanding product BTS and all! I've gotten hooked since the first time I tried the demo. I even had to get myself the full version for a very early Christmas. I can't imagine trying to wait, too cruel! biggrin.gif

------------------

Run in circles, scream and shout...Brown side in, green side out...

I remember receiving the full copy of CM, setting up a QB with a Company supported by INF Support tanks and one TD, and then being shocked that my HE rounds were not taking those Hetzers down... who seemed to be able to KO me with one shot...

Since then I've read many, many, many books on WWII. An experience I would never have had if not for CM.

Guest Michael emrys

Mikhael, I think you are going about this in exactly the right way. Experiences on a more-or-less human level stick in the mind better than just having a bunch of tabular data thrown at you. Once you have got the feel of the battlefield, you can little by little as your curiosity grows start to make sense and give meaning to the tabular data: you can see what it means and why it is important.

You have already made an important discovery: how your individual mind works.

Michael