Has anyone tried DirectX 8.0 yet?

i'm using 5 or 6... i would bet that as direct x goes up in version numbers, its bugginess will increase and speed will diminish... after all msft doesn't have the superlative coder craig eisler to work on it any more.

andy

Yes. DX8 works with CM. Several users on this board have it installed (some have been using the BETA for several months). You may want to check with your sound and video card manufacturers to see if they have any DX8-specific drivers. It may not be necessary to upgrade to them, but sometimes the releases are for compatibility reasons.

You probably won't see any speed increases or additional features (within CM). Most of the benefits for DirectX 8 probably won't be seen until new games are released that have been programmed utilizing its newer features.

[This message has been edited by Schrullenhaft (edited 11-16-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by grunto:

i'm using 5 or 6...

andy<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

DirectX 5 or 6? EVERYTHING now uses DirectX 7.0a.

------------------

--"We want information."

--"Information."

--"Information."

--"Who are you?"

--"The new Number 2."

--"Who is Number 1?"

--"You are Number 6."

--"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

--"Hahahahahahahaha."

Guest Der Unbekannte Jäger

Yes indeed, the Radeon was heavily dependant on features to be incorporated in DX8. I have found no issues so far and have been running many different games. I did notice T&L was working a bit better.

------------------

"I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend, to the death, your right to say it."

Guest ckoharik

Well, I'm not having any luck with DX8 and a Voodoo5. Yes, I downloaded and installed the latest DX8 drivers from 3dfx but now all the text areas flitter and are all white. Damn, damn, damn!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 420:

50ml,

Do you have any problem with flickering text in the info boxes and the inablility to display fog? I too have an ATI Radeon and am running the 3056 drivers, but I have yet to install Dirx 8. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Okay I have a Radeon 64mb DDR and had big problems with flickering text in CM. I had to download the ATI specialty drivers and then things worked fine. However the type of fog the CM engine uses isn't supported by the ATI technology.

------------------

"The world is wide, and I will not waste my life in friction when it could be turned into momentum."

I am having the same "flickering", on/off, White/Black text problems. Using a Voodoo 5 and get it under DX 7 and 8. I tried deleting preferances and found that it make no differance to the game engine whether I am using "Primary" of "Software" 3D rendering. Thief and Everquest run fine, GREAT smile.gif with my Voodoo... I think it is something about the CMBO coding at this point. Off to the Tech forum to see what new might be there.

------------------

Olmoss

http://www.ati.com/na/pages/spdrivers/drivers.html

after that you have to go through some crap from ATI but this download helped alot. Take note that after clicking on the "Radeon Windowsxxx Display Driver" it will dump you sometimes and you have to click on "Current Special Purpose Drivers" then you agree to the disclaimer find the download and away you go!

As far as Olmoss's problem goes I would say you may want to make sure you have the most current main board drivers especially for AGP. You can ussually hit your motherboards manufacturer site and find the drivers.

Hope this helps.

------------------

"The world is wide, and I will not waste my life in friction when it could be turned into momentum."

The "white/black" flickering text problem was present way back when, I initially got CM loaded using my Voodoo5.

The fix, or workaround, was to use the FSAA, either on 2x, or 4x and that stopped it. On my system anyway, the problem was caused by using the "Fastest Performance" setting. Other settings did not result in the flickering text problem, and I haven't had it since.

------------------

"Gentlemen, you may be sure that of the three courses

open to the enemy, he will always choose the fourth."

-Field Marshal Count Helmuth von Moltke, (1848-1916)

(product plug)

In this vein I suggest a program called Second Chance from Powerquest. It enables you to reverse changes to your system, from things like DX version all the way down to res settings in your video card. When I eventually upgrade to DX, or install a DVD player, I plan to get a copy of Second Chance and install it, just in case I bork my system. With SC installed I can simply revert my system back to the way it was.

DjB

Guest ckoharik

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bruno Weiss:

The "white/black" flickering text problem was present way back when, I initially got CM loaded using my Voodoo5.

The fix, or workaround, was to use the FSAA, either on 2x, or 4x and that stopped it. On my system anyway, the problem was caused by using the "Fastest Performance" setting. Other settings did not result in the flickering text problem, and I haven't had it since.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bruno,

Thanks for the input. That was the problem. I had forgotten that in a futile attempt to get CFS2 working under Win98/Voodoo5 I had played around with the settings. Back to 4x FSAA and looking sweet.

Oh and by the way, using Netscape 6 to view the board is horrid. Mouseovers aren't working, text formatting is a little flaky, and damn is it slow. So much for an "upgrade."

[This message has been edited by ckoharik (edited 11-16-2000).]