Where were the Jagdtigers ??

I don't have any facts, but I would not doubt if at least the majority either broke or bogged down. And unbogging a Jagdtiger was nearly impossible, due to its weight.

WWB

------------------

Before battle, my digital soldiers turn to me and say,

Ave, Caesar! Morituri te salutamus.

Contrary to popular belief the Jagdtiger never saw service in the Battle of the Bulge. Hitler had ordered that the new Jagdtiger battalions be used, but a SNAFU with the rail transport prevented the tanks from seeing action.

Subsequently during Operation Norwind in January 45' the Jagdtiger made its debut on the Western Front. It was used in the Low Vosges mountains around the town of Rimling, France against the 100th Infantry Division.

I will be publishing a new scenario "Debut of the Jagdtiger" shortly on the Gamers Net that deals with this very battle!

Guest Big Time Software

Related... the Sturmtiger also was supposed to see service in the Bulge, but the unit wasn't ready for the initial phase and never managed to get into action after that. 9 were used in Operation Nordwind, but a very minor role (especially when one looks at the effort!). One vehicle was lost, I assume to abandonment.

Steve

Apparently it took 10 minutes to fire a single 761 pound rocket! Furthemore the ammo load allowed for only 13 rockets. So in a typical CM game you would be lucky to get three shots off. Not too useful.

These super tanks are an example of how the Germans wasted valuable resources when they should have been concentrating production on the bread and butter of the tank force- the panther. The Germans should have taken a page from the Russians and concentrated on a few select models.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pieter Soldaat:

In the Battle of the Bulge a tankdestroyer battalion of Jagdtigers was in the german order of battle.

But I've never read any account of their appearence on the front.

Does anybody know were they saw action??

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OB West records for 29.12.44 show 2 Jadgtigers had finaly been detrained from the 653rd & were on road march to the 6th Pz Armee front. One was reportedly knocked out at Maldingen, west of St, Vith & no details were given on the 2nd's fate. The remaining 26 653rd Jadgtiger's were re routed for Nordwind.

Concerning the Sturmtigers both the 1000 & 1001 Kompanies with a combined total of 7 Sturms, were assigned to LXVII Korps on the right flank of 6th Pz Armee. Both Kompanies were initialy to be used against Liege but after the German attack failed on Simmerath Monschau on Dec 18 all plans for employment of 1000 & 1001 were canceled.

Regards, John Waters

------------------

"We've got the finest tanks in the world. We just love to see the

German Royal Tiger come up on the field".

Lt.Gen. George S. Patton, Jr. February 1945.

[This message has been edited by PzKpfw 1 (edited 12-01-2000).]