Snow for the Hungry: A Mini AAR

Hello, I just recently finished the scenario Snow for the Hungry (part of fire and rubble). I didn't want to do too in-depth of a rundown on it (it is a great scenario and I recommend it to anyone). So I figured I'd do this miniature AAR. I'm just going to briefly recount my match in a few small posts.

2 platoons of understrength Panzer Grenadiers and a group of about 7 tanks (3 tigers, 2 stugs, and 2 panthers) are going to try and relieve Konigsberg. As part of it, we have to secure the road leading to the city and clear out some Soviet units along the way. There is a heavy blizzard going on that enables us to move in relative safety and take the objectives in detail. Here is the plan:

dewBvaD.jpg
bCN0DMx.jpg

With the threat of the T34s gone, the tanks return to shooting up liberating the village and the Panzergrenadiers are dismounted to storm the buildings.

KUrqNZQ.jpg

On the road to Konigsberg, our Stugs run headfirst into some T34s. 3 T34s are destroyed for the cost of 1 Stug. The 1 Stug, after seeing some soviet infantry in the tree line retreats back to a hull down position and watches the road for a bit. (After a bit of time I eventually just move it down the road and leave it there to get the obj and catch any incoming soviet forces).

ekj6OOn.jpg

eYYYpB7.jpg

Here is the plan going forward after the capture of the first objective. Likewise, Panzerschrek teams have been sent out into the woods to screen for any tanks waiting in ambush.

V3gWGjQ.jpg

The small village on the route to the 2nd objective is cleared easily. As expected, there are some Russian infantry there, but they don’t put up much resistance; a lack of any AT weapons means they are taken out quite easily as the tigers and panthers go to work.

h0OWv2M.jpg

wcdUuIB.jpg

The tanks also find and destroy a T34 waiting in ambush

hG2etDZ.jpg

The assault on the second objective (Waldburg) has commenced.

znZG3Iq.jpg

It actually ends up being relatively quiet as well. We do lose our first and only Tiger to a T34. A panther quickly gets revenge.

yl5O2Zf.jpg

GhoUQsv.jpg

With that last obstacle, a rather uneventful march onto the last objective occurs. The occasional Russian takes a pot shot, but it doesn’t do much given the presence of the tanks to cover. Sadly, organizing the attack on Waldburg and making sure it is clear takes up the rest of my time and the game ends. We achieve a respectable tactical victory.

DcW6sGi.jpg

Bqs159q.jpg

lrRuP7F.jpg

BKIU4MD.jpg

22 hours ago, Erwin said:

Yes, a very good scenario and always interesting to see how other players approach the challenges.

Yeah its one of my favorites from F&R. I could see it turning bad for the Germans quickly if they lose any of their tanks as they are lacking in real infantry strength,