Questions regarding the FAQ

Guest herbjorn

Guest herbjorn

"Why do squads show only three men instead of ten or twelve?"

Will BTS let those of us with geforce 2`s or other high end 3D cards, adjust the detail above 3 men in a squad? Is it just a setting in a cfg file, easily manipulated?

"Can buildings and terrain be damaged?"

In the release version of CM, can I order my tanks to fire through a building, punching a hole in it which can later be fired through at enemy forces?

Guest hunt52

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>

Will BTS let those of us with geforce 2`s or other high end 3D cards, adjust the detail above 3 men in a squad? Is it just a setting in a cfg file, easily manipulated?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope. There are reasons beyond graphics card capability for only displaying 3 men. First off, with 400 men on the screen there would be an incredible amount of clutter, a veritably UI nightmare. Secondly, the exact position of every soldier in every squad is not calculated. If the position of every soldier was displayed then the engine would have to calculate the position of every soldier - much math. Also, people would want control of every soldier which isn't practical at the scale CM operates at.

In the release version of CM, can I order my tanks to fire through a building, punching a hole in it which can later be fired through at enemy forces?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Again, IIRC, no. You can demolish the building, which takes a couple of turns with Shermans, and shoot over the rubble though.

- Bill

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope

As i understand it the current three men representation of squads is set in the code, thus cannot be 'scaled' by settings.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope

The whole building is a single entity blocking your LOS. No 'through holes' shooting is handled as it would quite possibly be a small nightmare to code.

Grtz S Bakker

PS: Damn, beaten to it by Hunt ! frown.gifbiggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Bakker@home (edited 04-06-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Bakker@home (edited 04-06-2000).]

This looks like a job for.................................

SUPER - GUACHI!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And his team of indivisible searchonauts.

Show us the Links BABY!!!!!!!

------------------

Better to make the wrong decision than be the sorry son of a bitch to scared to make one at all

This question came up last week so I just did a 'cut-n-paste' of last weeks message

From the "why only three men per squad?" section of the FAQ.

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/Forum1/HTML/000044.html

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/Forum1/HTML/000034.html

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/Forum1/HTML/000223.html

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/Forum1/HTML/000324.html

These are some REALLY old discussions. The oldest is over a year old.

Some basic reasons:

Not enough CPU power or VRAM (not for most people, anyway)

The soldier's individual locations aren't currently tracked; they are jsut an abstracted 'blob'. If all men were represented, individual soldier location/behavior would need to be tracked (like CC). Coding nightmare! Massive LOS calculations!

If all soldiers were represented it would be massive screen clutter. As Steve has said, "UI nightmare"

Jason

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>With the wave of a magic wand.........

*POOF*<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, there was a 4 hour, 9 minute lag time between wand-wave and guachification. This is unacceptable. Perhaps guachi needs an email capable cell phone. Imagine calling for 81mm support and seeing DELAY: 4:09:00 on your screen! Really...

wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mark IV:

Hey, there was a 4 hour, 9 minute lag time between wand-wave and guachification. This is unacceptable. Perhaps guachi needs an email capable cell phone. Imagine calling for 81mm support and seeing DELAY: 4:09:00 on your screen! Really...

wink.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aaaww hell....

Where's a super hero when you need him. smile.gif

------------------

Better to make the wrong decision than be the sorry son of a bitch to scared to make one at all

Y'all are making fun of me. frown.gif

I do have a reason that it took a little over four hours to respond. I was doing other CM related things. Yes, I have no life. smile.gif

You mock me now, but you will be glad I made a FAQ when we get bombarded with questions from newbies once CM goes gold. biggrin.gif

Jason