What is a reinforced Battalion sized force?

Please read the whole post I did and search and found these results but I'm wondering now that the game is shipping what the most current info and answers are now or if they have changed.

I understand (I think) that the maximum troop strength you can set up a DYO scenario for is a reinforced battalion. So I'm curious as to what (say for the British or American side) that actually consists of? (see Fion's break down below)

And can you make a DYO scenario of an encounter (Like Chance Encounter) where each side (say British and German) has a reinforced battalion size force that both advance toward each other to try to capture a neutral objective in the middle of the map. Yes I understand a very large map will be needed as well. Did I read Moon's map size answer.

I'll repeat it here:

"Maximum size for scenarios is 8 square kilometers. However, no map side can be longer than 4000m.

Maximum size for operations is 15 square kilometers. However, no map side can be longer

then 5000m. You will usually play only on a smaller portion of the operational map during a battle, and only that portion will be visible. (I say usually because there can be operations which use the whole map.) "

and Fion Posts this:

(but I don't really know, so I'm assuming there are 3 companies in a Battalion.)

Fionn

posted 09-23-1999

1 company =

3 infantry platoons + some support units.

1 infantry platoon =

HQ unit ( 1 figure)

3 squads (9 figures total)

Thus each company = 30 figures (for platoons + at least 5 more for support units)

A battalion thus equals 105 figures PLUS battalion-level support.

(? 30 x 3{companies} + 3 x 5 {support} = 105?)

Battalion level support = at least another 30 figures for all the heavy weapons and command

units.

105 + 30 = 135?

So a battalion = roughly 150 figures

( assuming they have a few vehicles and FOs to help out).

135 - 150 = 20 to 25 tanks? and some 3-5 FO's

(Me thinks they don't have enough AFV's and armour support from my liking smile.gif ! )

And where's the troop transport trucks?

how many of those?

Multiply by 3 = 450 units PLUS regiment-level support assest.. Say.. 50 units.

Thus 1 regiment CAN dispose 500 figures.

Multiply by 2 to represent the other side and you end up with 1,000 figures onscreen at the same time.

Its amazing how quickly it builds up isn't it?"

End quote

But what is a reinforced Battalion?

(more AFV's? Please say yes smile.gif )

AND I don't understand how to factor AFV's into this? How many tanks and half tracks and trucks and jeeps and scout cars can a reinforced battalion have. Sorry I don't really understand how to relate all those infantry break down lists in a battalion with how vehicles and AFV's are combined or attached to that battalion sized force as defined by Fion.

and to answer my first question

Hawk posts this:

"I have done some search on this topic and here is what I believe is the final verdict

Maximum mapsize is 3 x 5 km.

No limit on force size, BUT having more than 1.5 battalion (200+ units) on each side is

going to requre some serious hardware.

Hawk

Off all the above posts what is the most current information?

Just curious?

I (like EVERYONE here) can't wait to get my hands on the DYO scenario designer and see what it can do for me. I might even have more fun with the scenario designer than playing the actaul game smile.gif

Thanks again.

Here's hoping my cd is in on the way!

-tom w

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> "Have you thanked BTS by buying your SECOND copy of CM yet?" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

depends on the mission...

figure (and I am using more modern to&e figures here!)

1 jeep per plt hq and co hq;

maybe an engineer plt per Battlion

maybe a tank company of 17 tanks (older to&e but after ww2) but if ya have that take away 1 infantry company...

bn hq may have 10-12 jeeps (pulled these figures outta mah hind parts smile.gif

as far as trucks ahm not sure how those were broke down in ww2....and can't remember how they are in more modern times...

hopefully this'll get ya in the ball park

------------------

unca pathy will show ya the path,

if only he could find it himself!

Guest Germanboy

I think a re-inforced BN in reality is usually a BN with some added goodies, e.g. a troop (company-size formation in the UK TO&E, IIRC) of tanks, or maybe a company from the divisional MG BN, or the combat engineers, or maybe some SP guns or an added rifle company from another BN, maybe some mortars or a squadron of Wasp flamethrowers.

I guess it depends on the scenario in question, as it would in reality depend on the task at hand. Let's say you have to cross a river. What would you want the scenario designer (Divison command) to give you? Flamethrowers and tanks, or combat engineers and fire support? What if you have to clear a small town? Reinforced just means you get added goodies that are at the disposal of whoever sends you to do the job, and they should be suited to the job, meaning that there is no fixed list of equipment to go with it.

Seeing how CM handles everything else, I would expect it to handle this question very flexibly and realistic.

------------------

Andreas

To put it in real world numbers (not 'figures') - a typical Batallion in WWII will have anywhere from 500 to 800 men including all support and HQ personell. The size really depends on the type of batallion. Regular US infantry will have over 700 but an engineer batallion may only have over 500 or something like that.

Thanks guys

I now have a good idea about what the composition of a reinforced battalion is like.

I will be designing one completely delightful scenario the MINUTE I get that scenario editor! I plan to build the most wonderfully challenging,fun and balanced fictional scenario you have ever seen. The complete idea has already been sketched out and I can't wait.

Thanks again.

-tom w

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> "Have you thanked BTS by buying your SECOND copy of CM yet?" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>