CM & The Art of Seduction

If you want people to buy CM, simply find a way to have them try CM, by pitching it to the specific interests of your target audience.

To my brother

"There you are in that big house in Washington state, but your family's back in Columbus, Georgia. Why not download the Gold demo? That way, we could play by E-mail. You could also play hotseat with your buddy Ted across the street."

Naturally, if he plays so much as a few turns of the demo, he's going to insist on having the full game, especially when he sees how incredibly detailed the wargame is, how much research went into it (another grognard), and the stunning visuals.

To another brother (who happens to be a wargame designer and a great fan of miniature battles)

"You really ought to see this. It's amazing! Imagine if you could somehow animate MicroArmor, vehicles and men alike, issue it commands, then watch it attempt to carry out your orders while under fire and responding as real troops would. The game can be played in a variety of modes (list here). The computer keeps track of the morale, casualties, ammo, etc. You haven't lived until you see the gun on a StuG traverse and fire, complete with recoil. This game is truly revolutionary. The free demo's better than most finished games.

He's putting in some long hours on his regular job and working on the next Command at Sea release, but how can he resist? He's got a son who might play and a wife who herself has gamed.

I had a friend over last night who is a professional graphic artist and a game designer. I showed him some of the POTDs, particularly the new explosions and the goodies from MDMP-1, told him about the patch and the mods, new scenarios, etc.for CM. I then hit him with the second movie (Sherman tanks surging over hill, Tigers firing, infantry on the move), which really got his attention. I then took him to a just commenced CE game in which I was Germans and let him play after giving him a crash course on the controls and giving orders. He found it utterly engrossing, amazing, cool beyond belief. I told him that was nothing compared to the full game and gave him a fast rundown on that and everything else connected with CM, along with the price and where to order, info he asked for.

I have several friends back East who are most interested but whose computers lack the power to run even the demo. One should be here in the next day or so and will see exactly what he's missing. He's a writer and wargame designer; his wife's a champion wargamer in her own right. He thinks he wants a new computer for Diablo II, but wait until I've had my shot at him! Of course, when he gets back he won't be able to stop himself from telling his gaming buddies what he's just seen.

I'm waiting to see what my nephews thought, and I've got several more friends to ping, one of whom owns a huge hobby shop (hosts a game club) in Georgia and is an avid gamer period.

There are so many ways to bring people into the CM fold. Just be yourself, be honest and let your enthusiasm speak through you.

Regards,

John Kettler

[This message has been edited by John Kettler (edited 06-19-2000).]

Tonight I had a friend over as well. Now, this guy's never touched a WWII game in his life, nor will he ever. But I just sat him down to show off, and for the lack of an appropriate save file I just fired up VOT as Germans and let the game run its course for over 19 turns. He was totally impressed and really got into it. That really surprised me, since I know him quite well. I don't think he'll buy it, but it sure got him interested. biggrin.gif

I also'd like to add that until the Panther arrived I didn't give any orders to my troops. I must say, they held up very well on their own! Medals to everyone of them that survived! smile.gif

On a Myth community forum I played up two angles: the WWII setting & realism (for those that are really into a WWII mod for Myth I figured they might like to learn more about How It Actually Was) and strategy (for those that enjoy the outwitting of the opponent, economy-of-force kinda games). On hardcore game forums I'd avoid plugging the graphics too much - they're great for a turn-based wargame but ho-hum to those that came up on realtime/FPS games. (I remember one early quote about the beta demo: "they look like they're skating on lime jell-o" wink.gif .)

------------------

Leland J. Tankersley

Oh man! And just when I had finally forgotten about the 'skating' squads in the beta....

mmmmmm...lime ice

------------------

"It's a hardball world son. We've got to keep our heads until this peace craze blows over."