GOLIATH ?

I just perform a search upon this subject but I find nothing. I don't think we will find these little demolition-tank in CM because it seems that this weapon is very hard to modelize in most wargames.

I just want to know if German used them often.

I know that Goliath were quite fragile and could be stopped by a rifle fire. I read (I don't remember where) that one of these little monster do a lot of casualties to US troops AFTER the battle on a DDay landing beach because a GI just put an armed grenade on it just for fun.

I read too that they were used with a certain success against Canadian troops during Charnwood (?)operation...

Were these Goliath's little remote controlled things? I remember seeing something that the German army had something like this. Is this what you are talking about?

I would tend to think that they would not be used enough to warrant them being included in CM.

the Goliath was a little full-tracked, remote-controlled demolition device used by German engineers. I've read that it was intended to be used as a way to blow or clear obstacles while the engineers were under fire. I have no idea if it was actually used or where or by which units.

-dale

May have been Goliath because of the rather large amount of HE in them.

The only instance I can recall them being used was at ANZIO. They scared the bejesus out of the Allied troopies when they first encountered them, but they quickly discovered that they weren't much of a threat because they travelled so slowiny, and the control wires were easy (in a relative way) to knock off.

They might also have been used during the Warsaw Ghetto uprising. Seems like the right environment for them to me.

Regards

Jon

------------------

Ubique

Chamberlain & Doyle:

Leichte Ladungsträger (Sd Kfz 302 & 303)

7579 produced(two basic models, electric and later combustion engine).

Production started in April 1942 and ended in September 1944.

Used by engineer units on all fronts for demolition work and mine clearing.

Personally I think you could actually, usefully, model Goliath in CM but you would have to code quite a number of "special scenario rules" for it that might make it’s inclusion hard.

M.

Guest Big Time Software

Yeah, we could model these but there doesn't seem to be a really good reason why we should. As people mentioned above, they weren't very usefull in active frontline areas. Since that is all CM simulates... wink.gif

Steve

Along the same lines, there were also the larger Borgward BIV radio control HE carriers. 2nd Panzer Div and Panzer Lehr each had a unit of them in Normandy. Why don't we hear much about them? Well according to a great booklet I have called 'German Remote Control Tank Units 1943-1945' by Markus Jaugitz there was great secrecy attached to these units. Nobody was allowed to take photographs even (didn't stop some of the crews, hence the ones in the book). Their combat use and effectiveness might be a subject for further research...