Soviet/Russian OOB Graphic Resource

fireship4

I have seen these around from time to time but I found a list by the original author of some Soviet/Russian orders of battle done in pixel art style.  The list is here: http://shipbucket.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1941&start=40#p81071, unfortunately many of the links are broken but the images remain in the thread.  A self propelled artillery gun battalion as an example:

SP-Gun_Arty-Bde_new.thumb.PNG.90c975fcf82a9d5c7adeec1f5cdc3003.PNG

There are many more threads like this on the forum, including similar OOB for US Army (http://shipbucket.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=3119), British Army (http://shipbucket.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=3079) and Ukrainian Army (http://shipbucket.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=8464).

As an aside, I believe there are normally two of these plus an MLRS battalion (plus extras when needed) grouped together to support a brigade, so if you like commanding Battalions (which sometimes attack with only two companiees up front) you should expect at least 18, if not 36 tubes (plus something to replace the rockets) chewing up the ground in front of you!  It looks like each battery has two observation vehicles that I imagine would go to one of the three battalions in the brigade.  I understand they are mostly used for pre-planned fires, with more dynamic stuff being called in by company commanders I imagine, though I may be wrong.

Edited by fireship4

14 hours ago, fireship4 said:

and Ukrainian Army

About half of vehicles are complete fantazy or with wrong names :)

As an aside, I believe there are normally two of these plus an MLRS battalion (plus extras when needed) grouped together to support a brigade, so if you like commanding Battalions (which sometimes attack with only two companiees up front) you should expect at least 18, if not 36 tubes (plus something to replace the rockets)

This picture represents artillery battalion of artillery brigade - this is higher, army level unit, though since Russia returned to divisions, 2S19 are in compositions of divisional SP-artillery regiments for support of motor-rifle regiments.  

It looks like each battery has two observation vehicles that I imagine would go to one of the three battalions in the brigade. 

First vehcile 1V14 is for battery commander and artillery recon platoon (spotters+radio operators) deploys on the main observation post together with command post of motor-rifle battalion, to which this battery is atatched. This command post located usually in 1,5-2,5 km from forward infantry positions. 1V14 squad can work together on the main command post or can be detached on two or three spotter teams - in that case battery commander will operate on main command observation post and artillery recon platoon leader with own team will establish forward observation post and will operate together with infantry in their trenches or nearbay. If need, the third - side observation post can be established if some part of battelfield can't be observed from previous two posts. 

Second vehicle 1V13 is for senior battery officer control squad and it deploys on the firing positions (offmap)

Also artillery battalion HQ also has own special vehicles - 1V15 for battalion commander, 1V16 for chief of staff and PRP-4 as artillery recon vehicle and mobile armored FO post, which works in interests of whole battalion or one of batteries if it operate on important direction  

Edited by Haiduk

1 hour ago, Haiduk said:

This picture represents artillery battalion of artillery brigade - this is higher, army level unit, though since Russia returned to divisions, 2S19 are in compositions of divisional SP-artillery regiments for support of motor-rifle regiments.  

From what I read they used to group two SP battalions and an MLRS into a "Brigade Artillery Group" ("BrAG") to support a motor rifle brigade.  I guess this has changed, or was it wrong from the beginning?  The book I was thinking of (The Russian Way of War, Grau & Bartles, 2017) is partly constructed around some apparent Russian military education slides posted on some random hosting website amongst other scanned educational stuff if I remember, that the author downloaded and translated. I found them myself following his bibliography link, they were still there!  They could even be dis-info.

1 hour ago, Haiduk said:

1V14 squad can work together on the main command post or can be detached on two or three spotter teams - in that case battery commander will operate on main command observation post and artillery recon platoon leader with own team will establish forward observation post and will operate together with infantry in their trenches or nearbay.

So one vehicle stays with the battery, one goes to the battalion.  If the spotter teams go forward to the line, do they leave the vehicle behind, take another vehicle, or ride along with the infantry?  It is not used for driving about to spot or lase or gps targets then I guess, or not at the front anyway, more as a communications/command-post/hub.

Was I right that the SP artillery would mainly be used for pre-planned missions and not call-for-fire?

Edited by fireship4

1 hour ago, fireship4 said:

From what I read they used to group two SP battalions and an MLRS into a "Brigade Artillery Group" ("BrAG") to support a motor rifle brigade.

Initially BRAG were created in Ukrainian brigades, Russians just used this experience. Though, BRAG is some enfrorced Soviet artillery regiment... Batteries of BRAG can be attached to battalions (in that case in will "battalion tactical group"), can just support battalion with fire, but not subordinte to battalion commander and can act in interests of brigade. Usually one battalion gets one attached battery. MLRS are only like support, not attached. 

1 hour ago, fireship4 said:

If the spotter teams go forward to the line, do they leave the vehicle behind, take another vehicle, ride along with the infantry? 

1V14 always stands on main command post. It can't be moved because it is "starting point" for spotters and guns. In the game it can be used immediately, but in real it should be deployed (the crew provides a couple of geodesic calculations, transmits the results on other command vehicles, sets equipment etc) during at least 15 minutes (with modern GPS/PDA equipment it will take about 2-3 minutes). So, if you change position of 1V14 (or main command post on foot), there is need new calculations and the battery in this time can fire only at old targets.  

If spotter team detaches from artillery recon platoon, they acts on foot with infantry (or can be moved on their transport). Usually in such spotter team in Soviet times goes officer (commander of artilelry recon platoon) with binocular, soldier artilley-reckon with PAB-2 artillery compass and radio operator. More modern equipment allows to reduce such team to 2 or even 1 man - enough the modern binocular, which can measure the range and the angle and PDA or small radio. For better results equipment like LPR-1/ -2 (laser recon devise) should be used. 

During the war in Donbas 1V14 and other artillery FO vehicles used mostly like a transport - they are too big, so mostly main command posts and other spotter positions deployed outside it - all 1V14 equipment allows to set it outside. Both Ukraine and Russia now made upgraded versions of 1V14/13/15 vehciles with modern equipment, but from the point of view of modern artillery such huge sizes make them useless on battlefield. UKR artillerists often equipeed with the help of civil voluntees HMMWV or smaller armored cars like FO vehciles.     

Was I right that the SP artillery would mainly be used for pre-planned missions and not call-for-fire?

Can do both. Pre-planned missions are more typical for corps- or army level artillery/MLRS. Though all depends from real situation. During the battle for Donetsk airport corps-level artillery conducted direct call-for-fire missions 

Edited by Haiduk