FR HOME mission from Red Thunder (help with tactics)

I took a good pounding on this one as the partisans. Faces the same issues as @patrik pass, no firepower so impossible to pin down the Germans in the first house.

My first two squads were reduced down to 5 men combined, so I awaited for reinforcements; while the 3rd squad appeared, the game ended without the second platoon (promised by the briefing) appeared. Did you face the same issue?

What is surprising is, exactly like shown in @dbsapp AAR above, I'm supposed to have 52 men. Twice more than I actually had!

Edit: I had a look in the editor and the reinforcement platoon may appear before… or after the scenario's end. I haven't checked the point of arrival though. Good to know that reinforcements do count in troops tally (and hence on casualties calculation), wether they do show up or not!

Edited by PEB14

• 3 months later...

I was fiddling with this scenario. As many said above, I am getting my arse handed to me here.

See, I imagine the designer wants to "teach" something with this scenario, and is that really that you have to use the 3rd team's light mg, and nothing else? The 3rd team appears at 20m mins, halfway into the playthrough, and you're left with nothing to do for a good 20 minutes before that. Attacking with the first 2 teams is useless, as is moving them around as the 3rd team appears close to where the 1st team starts.

Is it really just about covering fire from the 3rd team and nothing else?

Edited by Daniel Prates

@Daniel Prates well in these 20min you can get your other troops into position as quietly as possible.

Get those snipers a good position to observe and fire from. Put them close enough that they can observe effectively but not too close so that they are easily spotted and engaged. 

Better let them engage when you decide to start your main attack, so the germans are more occupied to fend of those and leave your snipers alone more or less. 

A suppressed /stressed out sniper is far less effective. 

The rest is mainly platoon/squad sized attacks 101 (yeah easier said than done) : You have a overwatch /suppressing element (the team with lmg) and a moving element.

The problem with partisans is, like with the combatants in CMSF2, due to the lack of proper combat gear, they can't hold much ammo.

So you have to get as close as possible and hit hart. 

So yeah, for a better win chance (or a chance at all) wait for the lmg team, suppress the building while moving in close with the teams that have smg. 

Important in this scenario as it is in any other: Isolate the enemy so you just have one resistance nest to worry about at a time and not multiple. 

Edited by Brille

9 hours ago, Daniel Prates said:

The 3rd team appears at 20m mins, halfway into the playthrough, and you're left with nothing to do for a good 20 minutes before that.

They are the vanguard and the task is to find the enemy. As usual the Soviets need to get inside hand grenade range. Probe for the least resistance.