Smileys.

Guest Lord General MB

Guest Lord General MB

Soldiers,

I love the way smileys dominate this board. I've never used one. How many are ther out there? Were do they all come from?

------------------

Cheers,

Lord General Mr. Bill,

1st Army

Guest Lord General MB

Sir,

Whats the need for smileys? do they some how inhanse this board? (I'm not saying, "BAN SMILEYS" Ijust don't know what they add.

------------------

Cheers,

Lord General Mr. Bill,

1st Army

I just like the added visual for posts. I don't use them all that much, but they are a nice little addition IMHO.

gore.gif

Last one for the night...I don't want to get flamed for using them too much.

Good hunting ALL!

------------------

"Battle is not a terrifying ordeal to be endured. It is a magnificent experience wherein all the elements that have made man superior to the beasts are present: courage, self-sacrifice, loyalty, help to others, devotion to duty." - Patton

There also seems to be a recent increase in the smilie frequency w/ new versions being imported, rather than the generic ones the BBS handles

smash.gif

------------------

Where's me gavel?

"The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers"

-- King Henry VI, Part II, Act 4, sc.2, l.86

[This message has been edited by jdmorse (edited 09-05-2000).]

Guest Mirage2k

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Were do they all come from?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

From Peng. Peng had been working on some smiley DNA-grafting experiments that went horribly wrong. As a result of the accident, MrPeng suffered some, ah, interesting "disfigurements." The accident also produced hordes of the little buggers, which made their way into the sewers and cesspool, occasionally interbreeding with the local hamster population. Peng has taken up the crusade against the "Yellow Menace", and can actually use his "disfigurement" as an advantage in that area.

But some fight against his tyranny...

Oh yes, there will be great glory...

-Andrew

------------------

VOTE BLAH FOR PRESIDENT!

Throw me a frickin' smiley, people!

Your one-stop-shop for gaming news is www.SiegersPost.com ! Hit it!

BLAH IN 2000!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>VOTE BLAH FOR PRESIDENT!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Heretic! Everyone knows that our God-given two-party race between Gush and Bore is guaranteed by the Constitution and the Magna Carta! Let's all cheer in lock-step... Two bits, four bits... Six? Eight? Do we add two, double, or square? "Who's the King of America again?" "I invented the Internet!"

*Sigh* if only the Libertarians could win... just one term would fix so much... *sigh*

ObCM: Rushing Panthers with artil spotters is a bad idea. Bad.

Lord General MB wrote:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Whats the need for smileys? do they some how inhanse this board? (I'm not saying, "BAN SMILEYS" Ijust don't know what they add.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, if you take a look at RMC's post "eight reasons why Sudden Strike is better than CM"

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/Forum1/HTML/010048.html

you'll see how a litte ironic wink wink.gif could have helped. Sometimes even the most obviously ironic statements are misinterpreted and smileys might be needed to get your point across

[This message has been edited by Das Boot (edited 09-06-2000).]

Excellent post, Das Boot. It shows the true value of smilies (expressing some approximation of real face-to-face conversation).

I'd only point out that the more exotic "smilies" (such as those from ACTOR and jdmorse above) are not "real" smilies, but linked, animated GIFs, so don't worry about not seeing them as a stock choice. (They are quite cute, though.)

LGMB:

If that is, in fact, your real name,

please read the following:

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/Forum1/HTML/004006.html

you will find some answers there

you will find more here:

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/Forum1/HTML/004812.html

Then I suggest you die a lot

Regards,

Peng

------------------

A Journey of a thousand miles starts with a single gunshot wound to the foot.

It can't be ressurected but it can be reincarnated. You rock, Peng.

--------------------------------

There was a time when the written word didn't require pictures to convey meaning. Those of you who may have picked up a book in which the only picture was perhaps a dust jacket photo of the author might remember this time. It existed somewhere between children's story books and your first email or BBS smilie.

If you recall correctly this time included entire words, spelled correctly, and typically some sort of punctuation which would separate the sentences into what many teachers used to call "complete thoughts." Sometimes the author would use a rhetorical device ( some early rhetorical devices ran at only 33MHz!) with funny old Latin names like "praeter itio," which I won't mention.

Sometimes authors used nice techniques called Irony, Satire and Sarcasm (an ascending tri-colon). What seems odd to us about these techniques today is that the words that the author used conveyed the meaning. Certainly there were thickies that didn't quite "get it" when Irony would smack them accross the noggin, but that's precisely because they were thick. One despairs that even the cunning and naughty MrWinky, the Cheeky Monkey, could not raise the intellect of the thick to a level of ironic awareness.

And so it is with our little friend Sarcasm. It is often proclaimed quite loudly that sarcasm is difficult to parse from the written word, and so we should make our intent plain by adding MrWinky, or perhaps even a MrRazz to make double-extra super sure that the target of the sarcastic remark is "in the know."

WARNING: the following statement is inregard to American English, which in my Ignorance is the only language I am able to speak and write. It is not in any way, shape or form meant to impugne any other language spoken here. END OF WARNING.

The English Language is rich: it has evolved over centuries, borrowing from, stealing from and swallowing wholesale entire other languages. It is a Monster of a language. We have at least two ways of naming absolutely everything, dependent upon from which root language you care to select the name. We have so many ways of saying the same thing that it seems we cannot help but stumble accross a way to convey what we mean with only the words. And yet...

OFFICIAL NOTE: the following does not fall under the above WARNING. That bit is over.

And yet, we have become so careless, so self absorbed and in such a hurry to get our two cents in; such a blasted, egomaniacal rush, that we ignore the meaning of what others write. We do not take the time to digest the written word. We do not allow ourselves the opportunity to read what the other guy has written, so busy are we in our sweat to "respond" to our nemesis, that we now require a little helper to convey the meaning for us. It seems the symbols we all agreed upon to convey our meanings are too difficult to decipher.

The ugly truth is that the helpers do not help. They diminish our capacity to communicate effectively with one another. They are frauds. The writer tosses off a smilie because he is worried the reader won't understand the written word. The reader tosses away the smilie because the writer didn't really mean it.

The writer should take the time to write what he means. The reader should take the time to understand. Smilies do nothing to enhance our discourse.

---------------

Guest Mirage2k

Attention: We have left a large package in the alley behind the Combat Mission warehouse. You must recover it by midnight, and replace the contents of the package with the appropriate number of copies of Combat Mission, and the remaining volume stuffed with hamsters wrapped in small, unmarked bills. The box must then be returned to where you found it. Let it be known that we are in control of a large van filled with smilies and gerbils, which, if our demands are not met, will be destroyed by the appropriate methods. Do not alert the police. You have been warned.

-Andrew

------------------

VOTE BLAH FOR PRESIDENT!

Throw me a frickin' smiley, people!

Your one-stop-shop for gaming news is www.SiegersPost.com ! Hit it!

BLAH IN 2000!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lord General MB:

Sir,

Whats the need for smileys? do they some how inhanse this board? (I'm not saying, "BAN SMILEYS" Ijust don't know what they add.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Smiles are used to convey what cannot be seen when communicating on the Internet, body language. A smiley denotes several states of emotion, usually to convey humor :)(smile) Or to be taken with a grain of salt ;) (wink) and so on.

Guest Lord General MB

Soldiers,

notice how this post has become a testing ground for smileys? That was the EXACT opisite to what this post should be... Just thought I count them up: 14.

Lets brake 20...

------------------

Cheers,

Lord General Mr. Bill,

1st Army