Degradation of Thermal and Night Vision Devices

Hello all,

I have a quick question about the degradation of thermal imagers and night vision devices in Combat Mission.

To my knowledge, regular night vision devices rely on residual light to function, so if there's no such light, there won't be a (usable) image. Atmospheric moisture, on the other hand, swallows IR energy real quick, rendering devices relying on infrared useless. 

So my question is, are these limitations factored in in the various Combat Mission titles? The reason for asking is that I am about to play an QB in Combat Mission Cold War against the AI, at night and in a downpour (not my choice, but given by the mission generator). In real life, the US forces would lose in such conditions some or all of their advantage they usually enjoy due to better night vision capabilities, but I am curious if that will be also the case here in the game.

Thanks a lot in advance for any insights!

Cepheus76

Edited by Cepheus76

Night vision (image intensification) does appear to vary in performance based on global illumination levels, i.e set the date for a starlight-only night and you should see different performance compared to a half-moonlight night.

I don’t think there is any variation in thermal performance.

Weather does affect thermal sights in Black Sea and I assume Cold War, although it may only be noticeable on the more extreme end. For example, in a "downpour" M2 Bradleys will not be able to spot enemy vehicles at 1000 meters.

Edited by Vanir Ausf B