OT: To iBook or not to be

Guest GriffinCheng

Guest GriffinCheng

Hello Guys,

I am thinking about whether to buy an iBook for playing CM during lunch time biggrin.gif

I am pleased to read the threads claiming it is good for running CM. Moreover, the price tag from Applie is just around HKD13,000 (USD1 = HKD7.8). At this price, I can get a Windows notebook with slow P2-300 cpu and lamey 2MB video RAM (probably with little or no 3D accelerration).

However, my main concern is : I am a long time user of Win9X/NT and my previous Mac experience was from 1995 with Mac II (!!). My questions would be:

1. I don't like touch pads. Could I use regular mouse for iBook? What kind of interface would it be?

2. I could "steal" the network connection from my work machine, but would it be hard to reconfig TCP/IP connection?

3. I have read a little about LinuxPPC. Is it good? Or could I still use Mac binaries?

4. Is there any other web browsers other than MS Internet Explorer?

5. I have forgotten if Mac version of CM would have to be ordered seperately, any idea?

That is all I have for the moment. I don't expect too many games on Mac but the deal sounds too good to miss.

Griffin @ work.

NIce. YOu definetly should do this!!!

1: You can get a USB mouse. It probably doesn't even have to be a Mac only one.

2: The iBook has onboard Ethernet and a 56k modem. I'm sure you could connect to it if you had to.

3: I'm not sure if you want to use LinuxPPC. I'm not framiliar with it and it's a bitch it instal I hear.

4: Netscape 4.7 is a pretty good browser. IE5 is great too. There's also iCab which is a great 3rd party browser by a couple of German guys that is tremendously fast.

5: I think it's gonna be on a hybrid CD but I'm not sure. Could be on seperate CD's to prevent pirating.

Hope this helps. I'm sure there will be other great games that are playable on the iBook. Apple is rumored to be creating an iBook DV SE with a DVD-ROM. That also mean they will probably upgrade the graphic controller to a Rage 128. Should be good!

------------------

Visit my webpage!

http://cm4mac.tripod.com

Guest GriffinCheng

Thanks ppl.

I think I am getting the notebook before CM gold demo is out so I think it is better for me to get the graphite color version since it has a faster CPU and the price is just a little higher. I am afraid I cannot wait for the DVD one.

BTW, the only thing I am worrying about is the TCPIP configuration issue. I am waiting for more input before I click on the order button.

Griffin still @ work (wow it is 1915 already!)

Guest hunt52

What type of network are you connecting to? If it is DHCP it takes about 2 seconds to set the mac up for that. If it's manual IP addressing it takes more like 8 or ten. I can walk you through the process by e-mail or chat if you want when you get your maching smile.gif

- Bill

Guest GriffinCheng

Ok here is the deal:

I have a P2-450 connecting an ADSL service, which use DHCP. I am salvaging my younger brother's old Pentium-120 and to be configed as a Linux server. (I have big plans for Linux!)

So I am asking if the iBook could easily switch TCP/IP configuration between my ADSL/office/phone dail-up/future LAN configuration.

I just find that Mac version is sold seperately...

Griffin @ home.

Guest major_tom

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GriffinCheng:

Ok here is the deal:

I have a P2-450 connecting an ADSL service, which use DHCP. I am salvaging my younger brother's old Pentium-120 and to be configed as a Linux server. (I have big plans for Linux!)

So I am asking if the iBook could easily switch TCP/IP configuration between my ADSL/office/phone dail-up/future LAN configuration.

I just find that Mac version is sold seperately...

Griffin @ home.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No Problem

really

I am a Mac System admin and one of the

people I support has an i-Book, the Game (CM)

SCREAMS on an i-book. It really does,

even faster on a Graphite i-book.

There is a piece of software built into

OS 9 on the I-book called

the "Location Manager" that you can

set up for two different locations and

internet conection set-ups.

Get the Graphite i-Book and you

will be the ENVY of all your peers.

-Tom W

Guest hunt52

Griff,

It's pretty easy to switch between a manual TCP/IP and DHCP setup. There's a control panel called "location manager" which will yet you use different sets of preferences depending on where you are with just a click. smile.gif It's easy to set up and really useful for laptops.

IIRC, the game is shipping on a Hybrid CD and the "what platform?" question is just to get info on their customers!

- Bill

Guest GriffinCheng

Thanks everyone for the kind help. Apple, here I come...sorry for Toshiba & IBM... biggrin.gif

Any experiences with Linux PPC? If you think SuSE 5.x setup was hard, I don't think there is any setup would be a problem for me, not even LinuxPPC. smile.gif But anyone could shed a light on this one, plesae drop me a mail. I don't want this forum becomes a Linux forum.

BTW, all ppl in the company I work for uses Wintel, I think I am keeping my little iBook my secret for I am using it to play CM PBEM games during lunch time -- when nobody is in the office! biggrin.gif

Griffin @ store.apple.com

Get the iBook!

I'm a longtime Mac user, and I would never go back to peecees. Yes, you can use any mouse or keyboard, including pc ones, as long as their usb. There are 3 browsers that will run, IE, Netscape, and iCab, a little one that doesn't use much RAM. CM works great on the mac, but beware, the 12" screen may not be good enough for you, I don't know. You can't connect an external monitor. Go for it, and Think Different!

------------------

There is nothing certain about war except that one side won't win.

-Ian Hamilton 1920

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GriffinCheng:

Thanks everyone for the kind help. Apple, here I come...sorry for Toshiba & IBM... biggrin.gif

Any experiences with Linux PPC? If you think SuSE 5.x setup was hard, I don't think there is any setup would be a problem for me, not even LinuxPPC. smile.gif But anyone could shed a light on this one, plesae drop me a mail. I don't want this forum becomes a Linux forum.

BTW, all ppl in the company I work for uses Wintel, I think I am keeping my little iBook my secret for I am using it to play CM PBEM games during lunch time -- when nobody is in the office! biggrin.gif

Griffin @ store.apple.com<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are about to join the few, the proud ... the MacAddicts. Don't hide that bad boy, man, use it with pride. biggrin.gif

------------------

I'm drinkin' wine, I'm eatin' cheese and catching some rays, you know. — Oddball

[This message has been edited by Moriarty (edited 04-22-2000).]

I'm sorry, I just had to chime in here...

I've had a chance to use + see an ibook...

DON'T

They are large, heavy, with a small screen and very few useful ports....

Get a G3 notebook if you want Apple... I think they are a very impressive machine. I was FAR underimpressed with the ibook... They entire system is just... unwieldy... A very poor design in my opinion.

Just a warning

-EridanMan

Guest GriffinCheng

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>bust some moves<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry for my poor English, I do not fully understand you completely.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Get a G3 notebook if you want Apple...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, but they are beyond my budget and I have placed my order well before your post...

Griffin @ home.

• 1 month later...
Guest Germanboy

Just wanted to bring this up to date with an assessment of CM Gold Demo on the new iBook I got on Saturday. Comparing it to an iMacd DV SE with 256MB, the iBook (64MB) does well, but not as well. You notice the difference in VRAM, it looks a bit grainier. I also run it in 1060x768 on the iMac I think, and the best the iBook can do is 800x600. But it computes turns very fast, and the movie is fast, too. So for those who currently lack the ability to run CM on the move, the iBook is a decent-priced way to go. Battery time is quite good, too.

------------------

Andreas

It is amazing what you can learn from a good book...

Guest grunto

Linux runs on a Mac but CM doesn't run on Linux.. you'll need to use the Mac OS although BTS seems slightly intrigued by the idea of a Linux version in the future... or is that just my wishful thinking?

Andy

Guest grunto

-bust some moves-

to 'bust a move' can relate to dancing - i believe its slang from our american inner cities back in the 80s during the break dancing craze...

you could 'bust a move' on the football field as well when you 'juke' an opposing defense and score a long touchdown run...

so you could 'bust a move' in combat mission simply by playing the game - in earnest. if you got to the point where your side did something really devestating to the opponent, you could call that 'bustin' a move' or a 'jack move.'

'jack move' is also american inner city slang... i had a friend back in the sl/asl days who would always refer to his ass-stomping moves against me as his 'jack moves...' he'd been listening to straight outta compton too much...

andy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Germanboy:

Comparing it to an iMacd DV SE with 256MB, the iBook (64MB) does well, but not as well. You notice the difference in VRAM, it looks a bit grainier. I also run it in 1060x768 on the iMac I think, and the best the iBook can do is 800x600. But it computes turns very fast, and the movie is fast, too. So for those who currently lack the ability to run CM on the move, the iBook is a decent-priced way to go. Battery time is quite good, too.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Absolutely G.B. Couldn't agree more. With the iMac DVD SE at home I am in heaven. An iBook as a portable (at office or where ever) is the way to go. Man, I wish I could swing the $ to actually go for the G4 powerbook. My Powerbook 1400 (upgraded to G3 level) still is a bit herky Jerky. and even w/ backside cache etc doesn't have CPU to really enjoy it (let alone finding enough disk space) But hey it's several generations old at this point. frown.gif

Guest Germanboy

One of the reasons I sold my 1400 (G3/233 from Newer) was video performance. Nice machine otherwise and the best keyboard they ever put in a laptop. But boy was it heavy. Also ran CM jerky and tended to crash. Also had some disk-corruption issues with it. They offered me a good price, so I thought what the heck. Hmm, the G4 Powerbook sure would be expensive, as you would get the only one Apple produced. The current top-end is the G3/500 Powerbook. I think Berli has one, and is very happy with it. He must be looking forward to getting his butt kicked on it by me. tongue.gif

Sorry Mr. Peng, one escaped. smile.gif Oh no, another one...

------------------

Andreas

It is amazing what you can learn from a good book...

Gee, I can't believe there are still people responding to this thread! biggrin.gif

I have my Powerbook (G3-400) for almost a month now and to just to tell you ppl I am very happy with it. (I should be even after Dell and Toshiba pushes at the same time P3-500 models with id vram config, similar price tag, and equpped with track point device!!!)

No, I am not giving up my Powerbook! biggrin.gif

Griffin @ work.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>The current top-end is the G3/500 Powerbook. I think Berli has one, and is very happy with it. He must be looking forward to getting his butt kicked on it by me.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why yes I do... however, what I'm looking forward to is gazing out over the field covered with your dead.

Did you say a long while back that you would be keeping your iBook secret from your coworkers? No way! Challenge them to a game of CM, and show them how the 'Book gives you the computing power to beat their Peecee notebooks. Hope you're a good player, because the reputation of Apple will be resting on you. The honor...

------------------

There is nothing certain about war except that one side won't win.

-Ian Hamilton

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Challenge them to a game of CM, and show them how the 'Book gives you the computing power to beat their Peecee notebooks.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Acutally, most of my collegues have seen my Powerbook and some of them see my playing CM on my desk during lunch time biggrin.gif Well, they have little idea of what I am doing so my job is pretty safe. wink.gif I would love to challenge them but it is obviously no fun kicking some ameatur butts. ( Oh, cannot help it, hehe wink.gif )

Well, one sad thing here in Hong Kong is most people are reluctant to play games which requires heavy use of mind. Most prefer playing RTS or FPS type of computer games which are, to me, mindless and provides nothing but excitement. frown.gif I think flight-sim and wargames is the minority here. (I am afraid it is globally true in general)

Griffin @ work