German sniper training film

This is the most detailed training film I've ever seen on the fieldcraft of sniping. While there are many tricks of the trade which simply can't be done in any CMx2 game, I think it does an excellent job of  depicting how to make the best use possible of cover and concealment. Also, I think that a lot could be done to improve the appearance of sharpshooters. Finally, something I had a devil of a time finding stills of is there in abundance. This is the use of narrow slits in paper or other materials to block telltale lens glare. That phenomenon is called retroreflection and can easily get you spotted and killed on a real battlefield. In the GPW, the leading cause of Red Army sniper deaths wasn't counter snipers but mortar fire, because that was how to make snipers go away without own  people getting shot in the head. IN German but translated on the fly in VO.

Regards,

John Kettler

I found they are most effective after all hell breaks loose around them. If the AI spots them they are history. I don't notice any difference between a WW2 Sniper or the NATO counterpart in SF2. Shadows don't play a part in CM, but one tactic is finding a shade and shoot through a different shade like on the edge of the forest. My best result was a Sniper in front of a Leo2 Tank the AFV masked his activities beautifully. 

Back when CMx1 was all we had, I quite often bought a sniper and did quite a bit of damage with each one, causing a run on replacement TC heads. This tended to discourage operating Unbuttoned. During my brief window in which I was able to play CMBS, I had great success with a .50 BMG M107 sniper team. Initially, I tried Cover Arcs, but found that issuing no orders at all worked great. Firing SLAP, my guys took out BMPs and BTRs one after another and took minutes, I believe, to be spotted. When tank fire started ripping into their vicinity, the deadly duo decamped in haste! I take your point about shadows and have in the past decried the damaging lack of contrast modeling as it applies to Spotting. 

Regards,

John Kettler