Is there a workaround for this editor unit placement annoyance?

OK, so as you add units in the editor they get piled up on the south end of the map, in file. If there is a red setup zone in the east that one is used. As you add more units it fills up the available space. At some point everything gets clobbered together on the north end of the map. So far so good. Looks ugly because 3D models are meshed into each other, but understandable mechanism.

But the problem is that this unit placement mechanism never resets.

If you delete a formation and add a new one the new one is placed north of the now empty space of the deleted one. I found now way to reset this. After messing around in a certain scenario enough you always get the overlapping 3D models which are hard to grab and place elsewhere. Only starting a new scenario seems to reset this.

Any ideas? Did I make clear what I mean or should I put examples in pics?

I understand but all I can say is - it is what it is.  Things will also not actually always deploy where your stuff initially deploys in sequence as you describe - in terms of adding troops later on.  For example, if you have a 4km long map and you have already deployed Blue forces in a set up area somewhere in the center of the map and then you decide that you want to add a few independent teams those teams will sometimes deploy somewhere in the middle of your setup zone and you have to hunt for them amongst the stuff you have already deployed.  Other times they will end up on the other side of the map.  I've honestly never put enough thought into where they are showing up on the map in 3D mode to figure out what logic the game is using because I am always going to be putting them somewhere else anyway so I'm not really sure what difference it makes.  You can always grab formations by Shift + Click then drag to form a box, thus highlighting everyone and then plopping them all down where / near where you want them.  When they go where you place them they tend to spread out a little more than how they are where they initially show up.  If the issue is that they are overlapping each other then just click on a unit that isn't overlapping, click on the company in the unit display for that squad / team whatever (I'm talking literally about the area of the UI in the lower left hand side for that unit - it's clickable if you didn't know) and that will take you to the company commander.  You can then just double click the company commander and that will highlight all the units in his company - then you can plop the company wherever you want them and sort them out (or platoon, or battalion, or whatever).