Moltke Bridge - Second Crossing?

THH149

In a RT scenario I was watching someone play on YT (smartwargames iirc), there is a second crossing to the German left of the Moltke Bridge of the river Spree which was used to move infantry over the river into the rear of the forces defending Himmler's House and in front of the Kroll Opera.

It struck me as something I hadn't heard about.  So I looked at my copy of Bloody Streets and there was no mention of such a crossing (most bridges had been blown) there.

So, is that crossing on the Berlin RT map historically accurate? I'd like to know more about it.

THH

Edited by THH149

From Wiki

Construction started in 1888 and was completed in 1891. The bridge saw heavy fighting during the Battle of Berlin in April 1945 at the end of World War II. German defenders, about 5000 members of the SS and Volksturm, barricaded the bridge at both ends and wired it for demolition. On 28 April, units of the Soviet 3rd Shock Army, commanded by Major-General S.N. Perevertkin, fought their way down Alt-Moabit towards the bridge. Their goal was the capture of the German Reichstag, only 600 metres (about 660 yards) from the bridge.[1] At dusk, the Soviets assaulted the bridge. The detonation charges damaged the bridge, with a section falling into the Spree, but enough stood for men and vehicles to cross.[2] By midnight, the Soviet 150th and 171st rifle divisions had secured the bridgehead against any counterattack the Germans could muster.[3] From here they moved on the Reichstag, which they captured on 2 May

P

That quote from Wiki is describing the Moltke Bridge, which is famous in the battle, but thats not the one I'm talking about!

The one I'm talking about is an wrecked bridge that infantry crossed to get behind the German defenders and to the German left of the Moltke Bridge, the left of Himmler's House and on the river frontage in front of the Kroll Opera house. It has no name 'cos I cant find it on any maps of the battle, which  leads me to ask why its included in the FR berlin map.

My question is, was there historically an infantry crossing to the left of the Moltke Bridge (but not the Moltke Bridge)?

T

Edited by THH149

No second crossing due to another collapsed span, but debris from things like partially-sunken barges around the Custom Yards that could have been exploited (with effort) by small groups of men. Here is a notion of this on the map below, at the left- the probe that strikes across the river. Adding the possibility of an arrow on a map keeps the Germans from the surety that the Soviets won't try something that they had capabilities of doing, which seems accurate to the mindset of defending this terrain.

Any scenario has to do some degree of compression- there would be far too many men packed into this small area to have a working battle. It's also a day's fighting in an hour plus. This addition is compressing some of these potential (less useful) crossing areas being exploited, as well. The AI may or may not use it- but it doesn't need it.

Reichstag_1.thumb.jpg.8dcd89201ba9db372e1ce244407dbe2f.jpg

Edited by benpark

18 hours ago, benpark said:

the map below,

Thanks heaps for the map from the soviet side, I've never seen that before - can you share the source?

However, I'm not convinced that the Russians ever tried to use a crossing either side of the Moltke Bridge ('cos there weren't any!) but that map raises an ounce of doubt of what in fact happened, and I can only conclude that the 597 and th 525 put fire across the river rather than attempt a crossing per se (and any other differences are conveniences of the map maker). That map and this map from wiki (which matches my Bloody Streets book) shows the 597 and 525 (the possible candidate Russian forces) both crossing the Moltke Bridge. But I'd like to know more about the Soviet map.

The only reason I raise the differences between the FR Berlin map and the actual ground is because doing non-historical things changes the CM simulation experience, and surely one would llke to recreate the actual ground fought over in a super accurate sim like CM. At least I would!

800px-Battle-for-Reichstag-1945-map-eng.

THH