Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Late war combat 1/3 Armored Regiment/CCB 3AD

My favorite retired US Army Scout, SFC George Kettler, asked for my help assembling some game chrome for his upcoming 4-player CoC battle, naming a battalion CO who died in the real one. He was posthumously awarded a DSC. The unit itself won a DUC for what it did. This was a very hairy and super expensive fight for two German towns, Hastenrath and Schnerpenseel, as part of the Siegfried Line campaign. It makes Fury look like the attack of the pantywaists! 

https://3ad.com/history/wwll/memoirs.pages/earl.htm

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

Am highly surprised that a pair of battles falling smack dab in the subject area for CMBB has generated so few views and no comments in almost 24 hours. Was the headline not compelling? This is an account of battles in which an entire US tank battalion was reduced to a shell of itself, the tanks almost ran out of ammo, enemy fire rained down, resistance was ferocious, etc.

Regards,

John Kettler

Vergeltungswaffe,

Glad you found it worthwhile.

All,

Thanks to brother George, here' s a longish article that puts the above OP battles into a much greater context, so much so that the battles in the OP are described only in the last two paragraphs.

https://weaponsandwarfare.com/2020/03/01/operation-queen-the-western-allied-november-1944-offensive/?fbclid=IwAR28Zj4kYjLdOfV3p9p2WRtkbFCGvo1LowsSPK1jflgbtsRXsQnPaePWGoU

Regards,

John Kettler

An interesting read John (the first one, haven't got onto your brother's yet).  In amongst the action, two things stood out. 

1. He said God told him to turn right.  I'm sure any watching Germans would have said "aber Gott ist mit uns?" 😉

2. He said a white hot 18 pound round penetrated his Sherman just before they bailed out (from an AT gun firing at extreme range)?

Oh and perhaps a third...

3. He said a Panzerfaust was fired out of a building.  I thought this was a no-no?  But I'm sure it happened in the heat (literally) of the moment.