German weapon Question from book

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lanzfeld:

Also, what is a Spandau? <--SP<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't know about the F.M., but Spandau is one of those common names that could refer to just about any kind of MG (like calling all SMGs Schmeissers). It could be an MG08 which is an older MG used in WWI. It looks much like the Vickers although they are completely different on the inside. It saw a lot of action in WWII in the hands of rear area and second line troops.

------------------

Cats aren't clean, they're covered with cat spit.

Guest Madmatt

I was thinking he was talking about either a MG42 or MG34, If I recall he always talked abou it being used in that sort of capacity but it's been some time since I read that.

Madmatt

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex, The Alternative side of Combat Mission and home of the CMMC

CMHQ-Annex

Host of the Combat Mission WebRing

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lanzfeld:

I am reading "The Forgotton Soldier" by Guy Sajer. It is an INCREDIBLE story about a German soldier on the Est front. He talks about a gun in his squad called the F.M. Is this a MG42? Also, what is a Spandau? <--SP<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My understanding was, & I've seen it referred to by this name before in other books, is the "Spandau" equals an MG34 usually in bipod form and does not encompass the MG42 due to it's significantly different looks and rate of fire etc.

Regards

Jim R.

------------------

Steve to Combat Mission community:

"If it's not in Combat Mission it never happened in reality"... nah that's not what I meant

"If it's not in Combat Mission then the chances of it happening were miniscule"... hmmm, not quite

"If it's not in Combat Mission then we didn't have the resources to code it"... rats, we've employed more people now

"If it's not in Combat Mission, STIFF SH*T!"... yeh, that's what I meant to say :)

It was a generic term for almost all German MGs (including 34 and 42).

The aircraft MGs in WWI were often referred to as "Spandaus" also, but it was just the place of manufacture. I have some old action books about WWI from the 20s and 30s that refer often to "twin spandaus" on the Fokkers.

Guest Germanboy

UK vets, being the non-discerning type did not really care whether the bullets flying towards them came from an MG34 or MG42, or any other type. They called it 'getting Spandaued' and ducked. As Mk IV said, a generic term for all German MGs. He is also right about the origin of the term I believe. The F.M. could be some sort of captured gear. Belgium small arms came from the Fabrique Nationale (F.N.) I believe, but I could be totally off on this.

[This message has been edited by Germanboy (edited 11-01-2000).]

I believe I remember reading about Spandau Prison also, where some sort of skullduggery about Rudolph Hess took place, or was alleged to have, after the war.

------------------

"Gentlemen, you may be sure that of the three courses

open to the enemy, he will always choose the fourth."

-Field Marshal Count Helmuth von Moltke, (1848-1916)

Mark IV is correct. The Spandau is the WW1 era LMG 08/15 Spandau aircraft machinegun, called that because it was made at Spandau arsenal, used on the Russian Front as this weird LMG setup or as an HMG in the basic MG08 form. This was the MG that the Germans kept when they were forbidden these weapons by Versaille

Lots of Allied troops in WW1, and perhaps WW2 would use the term Spandau for any German MG.

The only language I know that FM would make sense in for a Machinegun is Spanish -- Fabrica Militar, but of the huge number of oddball Spanish weapons employed by the Blue Division during WW2, none of them had FM in it, and although Spain exported the ZB26 in 7.92mm built at Fabrica de Armas de Oviedo, I have no proof that the Germans used it at all.

Sounds like it may be a mistranslation in the book, since also FM does not show up in a list of captured machineguns used by German allies that is sprinkled throughout "Small Arms of the World" by Ezell.

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bruno Weiss:

I believe I remember reading about Spandau Prison also, where some sort of skullduggery about Rudolph Hess took place, or was alleged to have, after the war.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am not sure what skullduggery you mean, but Rudolf Hess was sentenced to life imprisonment at the Nuremberg trials for being Hitler's deputy until he went to the UK on a mad peace-making mission in 1941. He was the only one of those convicted in Nuremberg to serve out his sentence. He died in Spandau prison, which was the prison for those convicted at Nuremberg in the 1990s, I believe, and the prison AFAIK was torn down afterwards to prevent it from becoming the focal point of neo-Nazi rallies.

BTW, Spandau still is a part of Berlin.

------------------

Andreas

<a href="http://www.geocities.com/greg_mudry/sturm.html">Der Kessel</a >

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

[This message has been edited by Germanboy (edited 11-01-2000).]