Hey Battlefront & Bigtime! How successful is CM?

Wooden Ships and Iron Men (my first wargame) from AH also used a WEGO system. You recorded moves for each ship in advance and then moved them all at once. You even had to track what ammo was loaded in your cannons. WSIM also included different experience levels of crew, from press-gang (don't remember what it was called, and too lazy to walk upstairs and dig out the rules) through elite.

Diplomacy is also WEGO, but the rules are pretty simple.

(edited for spelling)

[This message has been edited by chrisl (edited 08-13-2000).]

Guest MajorH

> I must take issue with your assumption that BTS came up with

> the WEGO system. I believe TacOps was using this system

> before CM.

>

> Ron is correct. TacOps did use a WEGO system first.

>

I would sure like to take the credit for WEGO but ...

Chris Crawford used the WEGO approach in his computer wargame 'Patton vs Rommel' fourteen years ago (1986) - the publisher was Electronic Arts. I don't know if someone used it before him or not.

Chris Crawford's use of WEGO and his inovative (for the time period) user interface philosophy that focused on providing maximum screen space to the battle map with floating tool palettes for giving orders were a big influence on all my later work on TacOps.

------------------

Best regards, Major H

majorh@mac.com

[This message has been edited by MajorH (edited 08-12-2000).]

Johnny Reb II on a C-64 used we-go.

It was an American civil war game.

Other cool things were map editor, supply and reinforcements.

------------------

Now, would this brilliant plan involve us climbing out of

our trenches and walking slowly towards the enemy sir?

A related Q to the one on numbers, but perhaps more relevant to the fans is..

"Do you guys at BTS feel more than adequately renumerated for your work?"

I'm not just talking 'made base rate of pay', but 'wow lets do this again!'. I mean, we want you to have a lot of money, and your wives to be suitably impressed, and all that stuff. In other words, we, the fans, wish SUCCESS upon you BTS guys!

So can you spill us that info? smile.gif

PeterNZ

How about BTS has a contest with all the money they have now.

They could have prizes giving away BTS and CM hats, shirts, and mugs. The Grand Prize could be a trip to BTS Global HQ and a ride in the Weasel!

Sound silly? I bet a bunch of us would jump at the chance to meet THE Steve and THE Charles.

Jason

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Private Pike:

Avalon Hill's Air Force also used WeGo.

But none of this detracts from CM being a ground breaking game. Haven't played East/West front or CCx since I D/L the demo.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok Ok Ok....Obviously I was talking about the WeeeeGo system which is sorta like five girls at the movies and one needs to us the latrine! You thought I was talking about the WeGo system which has obviously been used by many games prior to CM wink.gif

I stand...er' sit.....humbled by the well informed, played, and old gamers on this forum. It is good to learn!