Are theses books the same?

Hi all

Does anyone know if this book

goodwood_1.jpg

is a reprint, or the same as this one please?

goodwood_2.jpg.263bde34e70f00f0d22e3ac4f7aab562.jpg

I have the 'Over The Battlefield' book but was wondering if it is worth getting the Stackpole version. If not the same book are they sufficiently different to warrant purchasing?

Cheers all

slippy

Edited by slippy
double post

Andrew

Thanks for the reply, but the first book you have highlighted above is part of the 'Battleground Europe Series'

and is this book

goodwood_3.jpg.77c72c6c2601c465d32f05424b398b33.jpg

I know these are different. I am specifically talking about the two books in my first post.

cheers

slippy

Okay the Stackpole book is an US version of Operation Goodwood: The Great Tank Charge July 1944 aka Operation Goodwood: Attack by Three British Armoured Divisions - July 1944 - Stackpole do a lot of that, and they are usually paperback, cheaper productions, the pics are normally pretty poor as the paper quality is rubbish on the whole, always best to get the book in it’s original format if you can, anyway I digress ...

To quote a helpful Amazon.com review (always worth looking here):

———————-

Reviewed in the United States on March 25, 2009

Verified Purchase
BE CAREFUL, THIS IS A REPRINT, with a slightly different title, of a book previously published by Pen & Sword Books. A very good book, but check to make sure you don't already have this title (Operation Goodwood: The Great Tank Charge July 1944). I had to return this to Amazon since I already had purchased the Pen & Sword edition several years ago. Also, note that the Amazon listing does not make it clear that this is a reprint. If you don't already own this book, it is a very detailed description of this important Normandy battle. This is a very good book.

———————

The book entitled Operation Goodwood (Over the Battlefield) was published after Operation Goodwood: The Great Tank Charge July 1944 by Pen & Sword and is a different book which makes use of a lot of aerial reconnaissance photos. Much of the research was undoubtedly reused but the focus is different.

Both original books get good reviews.

HTH

Thanks Lucky Strike and Andrew, i was looking on Amazon, didn't notice that review sorry. Confusing with three different names for the same thing. I have the Battleground Europe, pen and sword edition so i guess i will give it a miss. Find it surprising though that this is the same, as the pen and sword book is more of a battlefield guide, wouldn't have thought there was enough content for a stackpole book.

Thanks for the info though, saved me paying for something i already have

regards

slippy

Edited by slippy

NP

Pen & Sword = UK original, probably published in US as well. Stackpole = US, publishing worldwide, usually reprint other publishers' titles in a cheaper format, most likely because the original publisher doesn't see any potential profit in making a new edition years after the first hardback and/or paperback. Stackpole fulfil a useful niche keeping otherwise out of print books going, but their books can be a bit on the rough side, okay for text but maps, pics etc are usually not that well reproduced.

16 hours ago, Lucky_Strike said:

NP

Pen & Sword = UK original, probably published in US as well. Stackpole = US, publishing worldwide, usually reprint other publishers' titles in a cheaper format, most likely because the original publisher doesn't see any potential profit in making a new edition years after the first hardback and/or paperback. Stackpole fulfil a useful niche keeping otherwise out of print books going, but their books can be a bit on the rough side, okay for text but maps, pics etc are usually not that well reproduced.

Yes, thanks Lucky_Strike, i do have a few Stackpole books, so know what you mean about the quality sometimes.

cheers mate