Small unit autobiographies---------suggestions

I have just been reading "Company Commander" by Charles MacDonald----an excellent and detailed account of his experiences commanding a U.S. Rifle Company during the last year of WW2 in Western Europe.

I should very much appreciate recommendations re any similar detailed accounts of the command of, or life in U.S, British, or German small units----battalion size or smaller during WW2.

Many thanks

"Before Their Time" is a good book I recently bought. It is written by a former infantryman in the 26th (Yankee) Division. Although it contains a small amount of battle coverage (you'll find out why if you get it), it is still an excellent account of basic training and the boredom in France folowing Patton's breakout and subsequent loss of gas.

Also to consider is "The Fall of Eben Emael" by Mrazek, I believe. This is a very good account of the German paratroop/glider units which captured the fort and of the Belgian defenders. It also has some very good battle scenes.

Don't forget "Roll Me Over, an Infantryman's World War II", by Gantter. It is a realistic and gripping account of life in a US infantry unit.

------------------

Sosabowski, 1st Pol. Abn.

Yes, I know my name is spelled wrong as a member!

[This message has been edited by Gen. Sosaboski (edited 05-05-2000).]

Guest Scott Clinton

Autobio's are by far my favorite read.

I have finally got into "Seven Roads to Hell" and although I have not finished it is is a great book (as are his others).

I would like also like to suggest (in no particular order btw):

"Roll Me Over: An Infantryman's World War II", Raymond Gantter (US infantryman that arrived in Europe...just in time for the Battle of the Bulge)

"They were all young kids", as told to Aaron C. Elson (a collection of war stories as related to the author by US vets serving in the ETO)

"Commandos From The Sea: Soviet Naval Spetsnaz in World War II", Yuriy Strekhnin (not actually an autobiography but contains much detailed information from extensive interviews with mainly one person--also the only book I have EVER seen in English on the subject)

"The Forgotten Soldier", Guy Sajer (True classic even if not truely nonfiction, who cares?)

"Spearheaders", Altieri (I just finished this one...fantastic. Recounts the battles in detail from an orginal memeber of "Darbys Rangers"--got it for $1.98!)

"Echoes of War: Ill met by monlight", W. Stanley Moss (describes british kidnapping of a German general from occupied Crete '44)

"Escape From Colditz", P.R. Reid (recounts the lives and escapes of prisioners held in the German's prison for high risk POWs)

I have a butt-load more...somewhere...and then still more...but you just asked for WWII stuff (let me know if you want the names of a few Pacfic war ones...got them too) smile.gif

USED BOOKSTORES, I can't say too much about these. What we find interesting bores the Hell out of most people, thus they sell them...and they end up here...for CHEAP! Count you blessings! wink.gif

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.

[This message has been edited by Scott Clinton (edited 05-06-2000).]

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lanzfeld:

Has anyone read "A Blood Dimmed Time"? Is this paperback any good?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I read 'Operation Iceberg' by Astor, who also wrote 'A Blood Dimmed Tide'. It was a good read, mostly stories from veterans, with a sparse narrative putting them into place and time and describing the overall situation. It is a bit all over the place, since there are so many people from all services in it. I picked it up in a 2nd hand store for next to nothing and definitely got my money's worth out of it.

------------------

Andreas

Guest Madmatt

Yes, 'A Blood Dimmed Tide' is very good although I would give the nod to 'A Time For Trumpets' as MacDonald seems a little better at staying on track and his retelling of the Bulge seems to be a little more cohesive. Both are great reads though...

Madmatt

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

And if it's NOT on CMHQ then its just GOT to be on CMHQ-ANNEX...

CMHQ http://combathq.thegamers.net

CMHQ-Annex http://cmhq.tzo.com

Could anyone suggest a good book on the battle for the Hurtgen Forest. I have become very interested in this battle after talking with an old neighbor who was in the ninth from June to the end. That is an accomplishment in itself! I read somewhere that it had a 240% turnover rate.

This man knows I am interested in things WW2 and has offered to share some of his experiences with me. Over several talks I am convinced that the average troop didnt know much of the big picture. He has teared up every time so I dont know if I wish to continue speaking about it with him. It clearly disturbs him yet he WANTS to tell me. I just dont know. The one thing that tore him up was the sight of all the dead on Omaha being piled up, That shook him up bad.All that time on the front and only 2 days in a real bed. I know hardships,but not like he does.

So if anybody can point me in the right direction, Id be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Von Shrad

Yes I have seen that movie when it first came out as an HBO special. It was a pretty good movie although some of the acting left a little to be desired.

Where it excelled was capturing the negative views of the ground pounders that is missing in most of the earlier war movies. BTW, what is the movie Das Boot? Is that what its called? Is it a Hollywood production?

A Dark And Bloody Ground: The Hurtgen Forest And The Roer River Dams, 1944-1945

by Edward G. Miller

Texas A&M University Press

ISBN 0-89096-626-5

I haven't started it yet, but I plan on using it for creating a Roer River Dam scenario. Sounds like it might be what you're looking for, von Shrad.

------------------

Rob Varak

Editor

Site on Sound: The Web's Premier Site For Musical Discussion

www.siteonsound.com

Guest Bobb

For the Huertgen topic,

A Forest in Hell, by Paul Bosch. 1985, LoC Card # 85 70436. Autobiographical, Bosch was a Co. commander with the 121st Inf, 8th Division. His company was the main assault unit on the village of Huertgen. The episode is only part of Bosch's story. Bosch is cited by Charles MacDonald in his

The Battle of the Huretgen Forest of the Great Battles Series, J.B. Lippenscot Co. LoC

card # 63 7367. As one would expect of MacDonald, he tells a most impressive story.

It is the only book I have found exclusively devoted to the Huertgen in its entirety.

In Three Battles: Arnaville, Altuzzo and Schmidt, Charles MacDonald recounts a detailed history of the high water mark of the battle prior to the Bulge, the taking of and loss to counterattack of the key town of Schmidt. A Special Studies Book of the U.S. Army in World War II series, LoC # 52 61926.

In other battles I seem to recall an autobiographical book written by a guy in the 30th Division which was very good. But, it was from a library in another town and I don't recall the title. Already mentioned in other threads, I think The Men of Company K by Harold P Leinbaugh (of the 333 inf, 84th Division)and John D. Campbell:

also, If You Survive by George Wilson, 22 inf, 4th Division. The Battle is the Payoff, by Capt. Ralph Ingersoll, Harcourt, Brace and Co., 1943, covers an action in North Africa. Finally I mention a novel based on the author's personal experience and incidents in the 10th Mountain Div. in Italy, Brave Men All by Noble Paul Roth, 1981. In it he seeks to depict the way the lowly man in the foxhole and out of it advancing in harms way feels, thinks and reacts. Sometimes fiction can convey more accurately the nature of an experence than cold factual accounts found in the record.

Why else do we impatiently wait for CM to appear in our mail? Of course, it will never come close, but it will have moments

obtainable in no other way exactly. Reinactment has its moments too.

The Paul Bosch book impressed me deeply, because he was a local TV personality from his promoting Friday Night Wrestling from Houston, Texas for many years. He had a kind of winning way about his appearences and a sincerety that belied his association with that "sport". When questioned on camera about the "real" nature of wrestling, Bausch very charmingly stood up for the business as entertainment, while never outright admitting to the often rather thinly disguised choreography. Unlike now, a number of matches on each card at least appeared legitimate, while not leaving out the more extravagant shows. I had no idea of his accomplishments and service seeing him on TV from time to time only to pass on to more substantial fare. When I heard about his book and finally got a copy, I was totally surprised by what this guy really represented, when I had only regarded him as a gentle and personable jock.

Boesch was one of those people after which the mold was broken. He included some of his poetry which expressed the deep impressions his experences. He already had cauliflower ears when he entered service having already been a life guard, A basketball pro, then a wrestler. After the war, he served the handicapped, the poor, and women (whom he taught self-defense).