Great partisan movie with lots of SU AFVs, MT and artillery at the end

"Trial on the Road" is quite the film and rich with all sorts of detail, quite a bit of which would be usable in a CMx2 context for scenario work, depicting terrain, skinning buildings and more. For $5 you can access sovietfilmsonline and watch for 24 hours straight if you like. This and many others have English subtitles. 

https://sovietmoviesonline.com/drama/109-proverka-na-dorogah.html

Regards,

John Kettler

One of the treasures there is War is War, that SU-100 film I posted before, but unfortunately Russian only and not very good res. No need to suffer thus, for now you can follow the action and see so much that was eyestrain level before. Loved this, but then, the SU-100 is a longtime favorite AFV for me, so it's an incredible treat to see them this way and in quantity. Scenario designers could definitely build a CMRT battle using this as a basis, for this is unambiguously part of Operation Bagration.

https://sovietmoviesonline.com/drama/660-na-voyne-kak-na-voyne.html

Regards,

John Kettler

9 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

It can't be if they are using SU-100s.....SU-85s are a possibility, but the SU-100 is not, nor even the SU-85M.

Sgt.Squarehead,

You're right. Believe what threw me was that I'd seen footage from later (Berlin-Oder maybe) used in an Operation Bagration doc, so when something similar was shown in the SU-100 movie, I drew the obvious (but wrong) conclusion. The Russians could've had the SU-100 in time for Operation Bagration, but were forced to wait until they could get a vexing AP shell problem sorted out. Since I don't own CMRT, I don't know what the cutoff point is as far as date. Is it simply too late for CMRT to be doable?

http://english.battlefield.ru/tanks/11-spg/36-su-100.html

Regards,

John Kettler

Found something wholly unexpected and astounding at the end of that partisan film. Would you believe a real SU-122-54 called an IT-122 by Suvorov/Rezun? This weapon was inadvertently seen during the 1968 Czechoslovakian Invasion, leading to a maskirovka to dissuade the west from reintroducing such weapons itself by removing the guns, plating over the holes and prominently showing the defanged SPGS as ARVs in the May Day parade. Apparently, the weight involved required reworking the T-54 chassis, changing the telltale road wheel spacing. Was happily watching the SU-100s trundle through when one of these showed up and shot from such close range the whole vehicle wouldn't fit the frame broadside.

SU-122-54-MiniArt-37035-review-DN-Models

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

Sgt.Squarehead,

Believe that to be true. If so, they suffered the same fate as lots of other Soviet military equipment: developed in secret, trialed and if accepted for service, may never be known, becomes obsolete and is retired, with no one the wiser outside of very limited circles. The T-64 is a prime example of this, for it has never been publicly paraded by either the Soviet Union or the Russian Federation. The SU-122-54  never was, and if there was a similarly configured T-62 chassis sporting the mighty 130 mm, it wasn't either. There is a book on Soviet military parades in Red Square, and one of the things it focuses on is what was shown, what was not and why. We didn't get eyes onto the T-64 until 20 years after it was created. Indeed, until we learned otherwise, we called it the M1984. By contrast, the world first saw the F-117 only seven years after it went operational during Operation Just Cause. Did you know the Soviets had operational DU two years before we did? But as free as the Soviets and later cash strapped Russians were with exporting weaponry, am unaware of so much as a single instance where DU was used for attack by a Soviet/Russian supplied weapon. My recollection was that Saddam's T-72s had only hardened steel KE penetrators, not even tungsten carbide. Read someplace that our tanks were hit in the turret sides and that the penetrators got just far enough in that they stuck out like darts in a dartboard. 

Regards,

John Kettler