First tcp/ip fire fight

OK Read This Very Carefully: CM is the Best Freaking land based war game ever!!!!!!!!!!

I just had a fire fight against my brother, SS Peiper. What a game!!! CE, village, random settings, lots of hills for cover. and the best part, no freaking problems playing. nuff said.... no I have to say more.

Again I must state to CM and that dam great beta test group thanks a freaking billion million. ok now I feel better.

BTW we played to a draw.

sniperscope

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>When CM arrived, all other land based war games became crap.

sniperscope<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Guest SS Peiper

Best game ever!! DO I think sniperscope won. Did not have any prob with the patch. Thanks to Steve and Charles and the rest of the beta team.

SS Peiper

[This message has been edited by SS Peiper (edited 11-29-2000).]

[This message has been edited by SS Peiper (edited 11-29-2000).]

you got that right!

i just had my first time -- and i feel strangely like I did after that other "first time". smile.gif

what can I say? wow.

I had to mess around with zone alarm for awhile (and no, i won't continue with my analogy). curiously, CM died just after the first connection (hey, I said I dropped the analogy), but we just tried again and whaddya know -- we both saw fireworks! smile.gif

a whole 'nother game indeed!

[This message has been edited by sbg2112 (edited 11-29-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sbg2112:

you got that right!

i just had my first time -- and i feel strangely like I did after that other "first time". smile.gif

what can I say? wow.

I had to mess around with zone alarm for awhile (and no, i won't continue with my analogy). curiously, CM died just after the first connection (hey, I said I dropped the analogy), but we just tried again and whaddya know -- we both saw fireworks! smile.gif

a whole 'nother game indeed!

[This message has been edited by sbg2112 (edited 11-29-2000).]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

could you play with zone alarm running? I had to disable it tonight, but admittedly I haven't tried that much either

------------------

Jeff Abbott

Just played my first Tcp/Ip game, converting the second battle of a four battle operation from a pbem file for the match.

The game played perfectly and without any hitches. We lost connection at one stage when my opponent had a drop out but we were able to restart using the autosave file at the point where we lost connection.

There is a lot to be said about watching the movie any number of times and carefully plotting your moves but I have to say racing the timer adds a whole new dimension and does make playing more exciting.

I was hooked on this game before the tcp/ip patch but absolutely love it now

Juardis,

Yes, I was able to play with zone alarm running.

I'm not certain, since I tweaked a few things on the way to getting it working, but I think there are two key settings. Note that these were specific to running as the "host" in CM; my opponent also runs Zone Alarm but I don't think he would've had to do anything (other than give it permission to play on the 'net).

First, in the settings / permissions for CM itself, you have to indicate that it can run as a server. Next, go to the "Security" page -- the one with the "Local" pane on the left and the "Internet" pane on the right. In the bottom right of the dialog there was a checkbox I had to check which said something along the lines of "allow other computers to connect to servers on your system".

So, basically, you have to tell zone alarm that CM acts as a server, and then allow others to connect to that server.

Hope that helps.

I was hooked on CM for the first month that I had it, I wouldn't play anything else. I couldn't get enough, so I started 5 pbems. Then, I realized I was over my head. CM was no longer a game, it was homework. Furthermore, some days I would spend 15 minutes doing each move, other days, only 30 second or so, because I wasn't in the mood.

As great as PBEM is, you just lose the flow of the battle, unless you're transfering files simultaneously.

TCP/IP is the perfect answer! I played my first last night, and it was great. No hitches, and no waiting aroudn indefinitely for the next move. I still dont' think I'll ever have time to sit down and play an entire large-scale battle at once, but when I do decide to sit down and really play CM, I'll know I'll get my fix in one sitting.