SS Question (Split Squads...)

I understand the decrapification of firepower when squads are split, and the morale loss because #s 7-12 aren't there to get shot at instead of you, but is there a bigger morale penalty for the half-squad that gets the dinkier officer? I would think 5 guys and a corporal would run away faster than 5 guys and a sargeant. Never having been shot at in either situation I don't know. Are half squads treated equally, or is there a "better" half? Just rambling until the Gold Demo comes out...

- Bill

When you split squads, the computer will try to make them as even as possible, spreading available weapons and ammo equally. However, it depends on the available weapons how equal the teams will be. If you have, for example, one LMG in your squad, the half that gets it will be the stronger one most likely.

Decrapification (n)

(1) The quality of being decrapified.

(2) A reduction in effectiveness so as

to ensure crappiness in a military

unit.

(3) The antonym of "recrapification"

(4) A gratuitous excuse by which "crap"

can be included in a post to the CM

discussion board.

from "The Dictionary of Words I Made Up Because I am Bored Waiting for the Gold Demo to Be Released" (2000 Edition)

smile.gif

Guest Captain Foobar

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I understand the decrapification <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think a better term might be the *encrapification* of my units, seeing that decrapifying might imply lessening the crap.Compare the phrase with encrypt, and decrypt, and I think I have made a pretty solid case for ...encrapification.

*speaking out from the place the sun don't shine redface.gif*

while encrapification is in many cases used as you pointed out (along the lines of encrypt) decrapifications is derived from Latin: "de" meaning "down from", "crap" meaning "crap", and the verb facio, facere meaning "to make or do" hence "decrapification" literally means "a making of crap down from" while "encrapification" more commonly means "making of crap out of", a subtle but important distinction.

- Bill

smile.gif

We're not debating nomenclature, we're debating whether it's "DE" or "EN" crapification.

Also, we're wondering if CM imparts any sort of penalties to split squads OTHER THAN the simple reduction in numbers.

Where is BTS when we need them?

DjB

ps they're probably making a run over the border for some Canadian beer, eh?

Guest Captain Foobar

So Berli,

what would you suppose the definition of encrapification to be; Compare & contrast the differences and similarities to decrapification, if you will indulge me. I think that this crap is in need of some elaboration.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>what would you suppose the definition of encrapification to be; Compare & contrast the differences and similarities to decrapification, if you will indulge me. I think that this crap is in need of some elaboration.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would have to say that encrapification would be the correct term for splitting squads, while decrapification would be the term used for recombining squads. Now, I may be wrong... I don't have my Oxford dictionary here with me.

Guest Big Time Software

Section has special meaning to Commonwealth formations. IIRC it is what they call a Squad, but it is also used for other things too? We just call 'em squads and anything smaller a Team or Crew.

To answer the real question here, not the other crap smile.gif, I am fairly sure that a new leader is assigned to the split off team. This leader's qualities are different and therefore Morale could be affected.

Best person to ask is Fionn. He LOVES 1/2 squads wink.gif

Steve

I've been using them to good effect on you and Bil wink.gif in the PBEMs wink.gif.

Half-squads are equally encrapified as far as I know (decrapified is not the correct term BTW guys). It's a small abstraction but quite reasonable IMO since this is a game and not a command stressor simulation.

Half-squads are primarily useful as

a: Maskirovka (making the enemy think there are more of you than there are... deception in other words) and

B) holding a long outpost line where you don't have enough tactical units to hold it.. Split squads almost double the number of tactical units available.

Don't use them in full combat though, they don't hold up well.

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

Guest Captain Foobar

A quote from billcarey:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Decrapification (n)

(1) The quality of being decrapified.

(2) A reduction in effectiveness so as

to ensure crappiness in a military

unit.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now Bill, I thought about this for a long time last night, and I think that the problem with using decrapification as a term for splitting squads is that it is a form of a double-negative. Splitting squads would only be de-crapification, if you somehow improved them by getting rid of some terrible albatross of a squad member, and still it would crapify the section that got him.

I have to come down with Berli on this one, do you have any rebuttal to this?