OT - Anybody remember this one?

Remember "Patton's Best"? It was from Avalon Hill. An impulse based first person tank game? I really liked that game a lot. I found it in my closet the other day, and I was remembering how much fun it was. For me, it was pretty immersive, and the "will to survive" really made itself felt in it. Any of you all ever play that one?

It is one of the 2 board games that I am actually going to save. The other one is "Luftwaffe" by AH also, but that is a story for a different Forum smile.gif

------------------

Capt. Byron Crank, US Army

I remember it well. It really changed my focus from always playing the Germans in tactical games to playing the Allies. For computer games I think that Panzer Elite (PE) came closest to it with the number of Sherman models available to the player. Before I played PE I didn't know that Shermans couldn't turn in place and what a tactical disadvantage that is, not to mention the big cloud of smoke when the Sherman fires its main gun. I still have it as well as some of my older AH games. Had Luftwaffe too for many years but stopped playing it in 1973, don't know what happened to that one.

Oh yeah, played that one a lot. Along with B-17, Queen of the Sky and Raid On St Nazaire, Patton's Best showed that solitare games do work. The only thing I didn't care for was the "radar" screen look map board that abstracted the game quite a bit. Other than that, it really felt like a mixture of sim and RPG.........

-Ski

------------------

"The Lieutenant brought his map out and the old woman pointed to the coastal town of Ravenoville........"

Hi all

I played Pattons Best for countless hours ! I loved the way every German Tank started off as a suspect Tiger :)

I recall playing a Campaign naming my crewmen after Hollywood film stars with Steve McQueen as my ace gunner in a 76mm M4A3 who died with the rest of my highly decorated crew when ammo exploded in their Tank (named 'Bullitt') during A German Counterattack.......

Great stuff.

Loved B17 as well and in particular the Lancaster Variant in one of the General issues........

AH RIP

------------------

Sgt Steiner

Belfast

NI UK

I too have that in my closet! (I have a paperback book by the same name too!) I started programming PattonsBest in C way back in 1988, got it to where it would do all the math for me but could never figure out how to do the graphics part.....

Still a keeper after all these years.

------------------

Are you gonna pull them pistols? Or whistle Dixie? --- Josey Wales

Got it as well. It was quite nervewrecking for a boardgame. I found it a bit static, but fun nonetheless.

Less accurate, but more fun were 'Ambush,' and 'Shell-Shock.'

The "every German tank was a Tiger" feeling was also great in 'Carriers,' by Avalon hill.

Except every contact was of course a carrier group. biggrin.gif

------------------

I prefer an enemy who's willing to die for his country. That way both him and me have the same aim in mind.