Computer AI

Hi all I'm new to Combat Mission, I really enjoy it so far. My only problem with it is the AI.

I've only played two battle scenarios(maybe easy ones)and I'm not saying I'm a natural or anything, its just that I've creamed the opposition. Naturally I want a proper challenge is there anything you suggest to make the pc harder to beat.

Is playing by email good fun?

Sorry in advance for such newbie questions but hey all vets were newbies once.

BK

[This message has been edited by Benny Kill (edited 08-15-2000).]

Guest Germanboy

Hi, welcome to the board. PBEM is a lot more challenging then playing the AI, except for when you play anyone mentioned in my posts in a certain thread, but I won't go there. You can also set the experience level for the AI higher I believe, but I have not tried that myself, prefer PBEM.

Enjoy the game.

------------------

Andreas

Theres quite a few ways you can make the AI harder, especialy in random map Quick Battles.

I always say it is better to have a weaker ai than a very tough one, simply because you can always find ways to make it harder to play against.

But finding ways to make it easier is alot harder to do.

Play some quick battles with the enemy having more troops and experience, this should toughen it up. smile.gif

------------------

-kill 'em all and let God sort them out-

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I don't want to be made a laughing stock.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wouldn't worry about that, some guys have been playing for over a year and they still get laughed at.

------------------

The dead know only one thing - it is better to be alive

One thing that I have noticed is that most of the included scenarios are harder to play as German. If you are having an easy time of it playing Allied try switching sides. As mentioned it is also more challenging to up the AIs unit count (I usually use +30%).

Here are a few combinations I've tried. Quick battles with a Large map and 2000 points. Seems to be enough points to allow the computer to by some good units (not just hordes of Axis HTs for example). Larger maps seem to give the computer a better chance to be cagey about it setup. Let the computer buy the opposition forces & buy your own forces. Use no "cheat" game balancers like the Experience or Unit count options.

Then... Play Axis as defence against an allied Assault or Play Allies as Attacker in a Probe. (This maxes the other sides numerical advantage while observing a "legit" mission.

If playing Allied in a Probe add this one extra "rule". When setting up Allied advancing forces, rather than placing your units in the most advantageous and forward positions in the allowable set-up zone, assume that your units actually had to walk / drive to the battlefield and set them up as if they were just enetering the map. (Obviously not applicable to para). Don't string them along the edge of the map like you see them at the start of the Setup phase... Set them up fairly close together, like they are just moving onto the battlefield...rather than like they had all night to get into position. Mechanized forces in their HTs. A few squads up front and on the flanks to probe ahead of the main force. And lots of your units just starting to move up and still near to the map edge away from your objective. If there is a road that comes onto the map from your side of the map, have most of your boys moving up along the road.

This will force you to spend your first few turns deploying for the assault. I came up with this philosophy when a few quick battles opened up with my units and the opposition's units facing each other in plain view on opposing hills. Turn one opened with tanks blasting away at each other, like they had been airdropped or moved into position during a total eclipse and suddenly the sun came out and the two forces were blinking in the new sunlight with no idea how they had maneuvered into one another's sights.

I'm also a CM newbie, although I've been a wargamer for 20 years, almost all at the tactical level. I have found, in brief experience, that the AI is a weak opponent. That is not to say that I have tried expecially hard to make it tough. I will try to play against more units with more experience to see what happens. What occurred to me while I was taking the Americans apart during the Wiltz scenario that I had just totally defeated the Germans in as the Americans was what happens when I play a human?

I can't wait! I'm not sure how much time I have for PBEM yet, so I'm not really looking. I also want to get better at the system.

Really looking forward to CM2 and 3. Really, really really want to see the Soviets!

------------------

Ugati: You despise me, don't you Rick?

Rick Blaine: If I gave you any thought I probably would.