My first dive into the PBEM pool

With the release of the Gold Demo weeks away, and the game right behind, i feel it's time to learn PBEM.

What i need is someone to walk me thru the PBEM procedure. I'm sure i could get in a turn a day, possibly 2 or 3. I just need help getting started.

Anyone interested? Please e-mail me, i'll check my messages tommorow morning (5am -ish ET)

Thanx, guys smile.gif

Getting started may be daunting at first, but it's not difficult. Hey, I figured it out. biggrin.gif

1. Get an opponent's e-mail. Exchange a courtesy e-mail to see if they are interested, which scenario, side preference, that sort of thing. Or do so on the board. Also helps to determine if your opponent is on a Mac or PC so you know how to code your attachment.

2. Start game, choose "e-mail" instead of single player or hotseat. You'll need to create a password to get into subsequent moves.

3. Do your setup and play until a black window appears that tells you to click on it and send the pbem file to your opponent.

4. e-mail the file as attachment to your opponent. wait for a pbem in return.

5. the opponent will receive the e-mail, start up game, click "load e-mail", enter his password and play until he gets the screen telling him the move is done.

it's a long way to say the game pretty much does it all for you ... just play until it tells you to send the file.

i'll play any scenario, any side. smile.gif

you can also find opponents and keep track of games at this cool site: www.pantherworks.com

------------------

I'm drinkin' wine, I'm eatin' cheese and catching some rays, you know. — Oddball

[This message has been edited by Moriarty (edited 04-17-2000).]

Guest gyrene251

Moriarity said: "Also helps to determine if your opponent is on a Mac or PC so you know how to code your attachment."

How should you code it if you are on a pc and your opponent is on a Mac?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gyrene251:

Moriarity said: "Also helps to determine if your opponent is on a Mac or PC so you know how to code your attachment."

How should you code it if you are on a pc and your opponent is on a Mac?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you are using Outlook Express for e-mailing, when you make an attachment you have options for coding the attachment—at least I do on Outlook 5. I'm on a Mac so if I send to an opponent on PC, I'll code the pbem file for MIME/Base 64. If it's going to an opponent on a Mac, I'll code it for BinHex.

If you're on Navigator 4.5, I believe it's sent as a text file, which works fine on a Mac ... I believe that works on PC as well.

Receiving a .txt file from a PC opponent—MrPeng where are you smile.gif—works just fine on a Mac.

Hope this helps.

------------------

I'm drinkin' wine, I'm eatin' cheese and catching some rays, you know. — Oddball

Good evening to all,

Could someone be so kind as to post (or e-mail me) the turn by turn sequence to a PBEM game. I did a search and found a post from Steve of BTS which had the sequence. The trouble is it doesn't match what is actually transpiring in my current PBEM games.

For instance the sequence reads:

Step 4) Player B watches execution, plans, sends to player A.

Now i am player B and i just got done watching a turns execution but the game did not allow me to plan as stated in step 4. It just kicked me out to the "e-mail player" screen. Am i doing something wrong? My opponents are kind enough to play thru this but i'm still curious smile.gif

Here's how the moves go:

1. Ami setup

2. Ger setup and move

3. Ami move

4. Ger movie

5. Ami movie and move

6. Ger move

7. Ami movie

8. Ger movie and move

9. Ami move

10. Ger movie

11. Ami movie and move

etc. etc.

Hope this helps.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Moriarty (edited 04-19-2000).]

Always with the negative waves Moriarity. I think i sent you a turn last night or today. haven't been around much lately. but just posted one of my finest taunts of all time late last night. got rave reviews. anyway. i'm pretty sure the ballis in your court at this juncture.

Peng

------------------

Peng sez "die a lot now."

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MrPeng:

Always with the negative waves Moriarity. I think i sent you a turn last night or today. haven't been around much lately. but just posted one of my finest taunts of all time late last night. got rave reviews. anyway. i'm pretty sure the ballis in your court at this juncture.

Peng

Right, you are.

I won't be able to respond until late Saturday, but I will get to it. I feel the need to spatter the uniforms of your little grey nasty boys with a bit of their own blood.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------