10 May 1940

• 2 weeks later...

Luxembourgers?

As far as I know they did not fight. you must understand that my tiny country had no military tradition. The "army" size was problably too small, and they were simply overhelmed on that fateful May morning.

I'll check on some details and let you know.

I don't think there was any official agreement with regards to protection from either Belgium or France.

Luxembourg tried to avoid to attract Nazi-Germany anger playing unsuccessfully the 'hey we are neutrals!' card.

By 1940, probably on paper, Luxbg had 13 officers, 255 gendarmes (more a police function) and 425 volunteers plus auxiliaries.

The volunteers were until 1939 split into 2 companies with a captain each as company commanders.

So there was a semi-professional army augmented by civil guards in this period of political crisis. I don't know about any war (defense) plans. However, I think by spring 1940, the officers and the governement had no doubt about the outcome.

The escape of the governement and the Grande-Duchesse Charlotte was even planned in case of an invasion... and succeeded for but one (of 5) ministers (=secretary of state?).

What (and if any) action was seen by the army is uncertain to me. I've never heard of any organised resistance at this point.

From what I learned in the marches around DIekirch,Luxemburg had a huge number of "volunteers"enlisted by the Germans to fight in the east.

Some people there argued it could be over 10000 men,not much of them returned home after the war.

It was considered a dark page in the History of Luxemburg.

Btw may 10th is my daughters birthday too smile.gif

Originally posted by Chainman:

I don't think there was any official agreement with regards to protection from either Belgium or France.

Right. I think it was more of a tacit understanding than a formal agreement. Sort of like what Belgium had with Britain and France.

Michael

Oh, wait. I just had a look. It was SL Scenario 25: Resistance at Chabrehez I was thinking of. It features elms of 7th M/c Bn up against a det from 3rd Regt Chasseurs Ardennais (Belgian). The map I was thinking of is either 2 or 5.

Meh. Not Luxembourgians, but the effect is probably the same.

Edit: I see that Scen 26 is "Assault on a Queen", the one you referred to earlier Mike.