New to land warfare

I am an accomplished sim aviator (combat and non) with a background as an Air Force navigator. Although I have read a tremendous amount about WWII land warfare, I am a newbie and terribly inexperienced at land warfare sims and games and land combat tactics. I would appreciate it if anyone suggest a good overall guide, article and/or website to help bring me up to speed so I have some idea what I'm doing. Any help would be appreciated. I have both CMBB and CMBO. Thanks in advance!

Welcome hornpiper!

The only advice I can really give you is to read up on the many topics here in this forum. Check out the CM Tips and Tricks forum for more direct info about tactics. There probably are a couple of guides hanging around on this forum. Maybe do a search for 'guide' or 'manual'.

However if you're like me, you will probably enjoy developing your own tactical style. Playing against the AI at first will help develop your tactics, but eventually you will probably play against humans and that is when you'll really will see your tactics develop. Humans opponents are unpredictable.

Myself, I don't read much on tip and tricks here on this forum as I would rather learn myself through 'hit and miss'.

Enjoy developing your own sense of tactics. I did and I think that's the thing that is the most fun about Combat Mission.

Hi Hornpiper

I'm a CM rookie myself, and to be honest most of what you need to get started is right on this site. You can use the search tool up on the right there to find threads related to specific topics, and to be honest if it hasn't been covered on here, it probably isn't in the game.

On the whole though, most of the site regulars are a pretty helpful and friendly bunch - just don't wander into the Peng challenge thread by yourself ;)tongue.gif

Try browsing through the Tips and Tricks section too - a lot of good stuff there.

And one last thing - cancel any engagements you may have made for the next few months because these games are more addictive than any other man made or natural substance out there!

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome Hornpiper,

Originally posted by Tifosi:

And one last thing - cancel any engagements you may have made for the next few months because these games are more addictive than any other man made or natural substance out there!

My name is General Colt and I'm a CMBB-a-holic.

I first knew I was addicted about 3 months after I bought the games. I was driving down the road looking at a wheat field and said, "You could hide a whole regiment of Russinn SMGs in that field".

My 11 year old (then 9) said "Dad, you're obsessed".

So what have I done to lessen my time on the computer? Switched from dial-up to DSL so I can download PBEM turns faster.

I was in England and my girlfriend saw me looking out the window of the train and she knew what I was thinking, German tanks crossing the fields, she knows I am obsessed smile.gif

I've never actually played against a human opponent in Combat Mission before though, I myself seem to be a lot better at defense than offense too.

I would appreciate it if anyone suggest a good overall guide, article and/or website to help bring me up to speed so I have some idea what I'm doing.
Go to the Anthology of Useful Posts in the Tips & Tricks forum.

Anthology Of Useful Posts in Tips & Tricks

You will have a lot of reading and study. It will take time. However, such is just the way that life & CM go.

Pay special attention to the JasonC posts and the post of a few others who post frequently & comprehensively.

Hit those posts, & get to work.

Cheers, Richard smile.gif