Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Minor Flaw Report / Translation Error "Embark"

Hello together! Again a post from my side to help improving the best game in the world! :)

I'm posting it here in CMSF2 before it's release so that this needs no fix afterwards - but this little translation error has appeared in ALL

CM titles since the introduction of game engine 4.0  .

In the GERMAN version of game engine 4.0 the command / (or description for the action) "Embark" is translated with "Einschiffen" and this is unfortunately not correct.

The correct / proper military term for getting on a vehicle is "Aufsitzen" - which originally means "to get on horseback" (English: "Mount").

And like the English command "Mount" it also comes from the cavalry times. 🐴

English - German

Mount - Aufsitzen

Dismount - Absitzen

Civilian expression would be

Get on - Einsteigen

Get off - Aussteigen

The German word "Einschiffen" means to  really / literally / de facto  going on board of a real ship. - And, in a second, colloquial and somewhat wider meaning, it can also be said for peeing into one's own pants / bed. 😏  😄

OK, I hope that my explanations were helpful.  Thanks for your attention.

7 hours ago, Shorker said:

The German word "Einschiffen" means to  really / literally / de facto  going on board of a real ship. - And, in a second, colloquial and somewhat wider meaning, it can also be said for peeing into one's own pants / be

LOL just for that we should keep the current command!  :D 

On July 28, 2018 at 6:45 AM, Shorker said:

Hello together! Again a post from my side to help improving the best game in the world! :)

I'm posting it here in CMSF2 before it's release so that this needs no fix afterwards - but this little translation error has appeared in ALL

CM titles since the introduction of game engine 4.0  .

In the GERMAN version of game engine 4.0 the command / (or description for the action) "Embark" is translated with "Einschiffen" and this is unfortunately not correct.

The correct / proper military term for getting on a vehicle is "Aufsitzen" - which originally means "to get on horseback" (English: "Mount").

And like the English command "Mount" it also comes from the cavalry times. 🐴

English - German

Mount - Aufsitzen

Dismount - Absitzen

Civilian expression would be

Get on - Einsteigen

Get off - Aussteigen

The German word "Einschiffen" means to  really / literally / de facto  going on board of a real ship. - And, in a second, colloquial and somewhat wider meaning, it can also be said for peeing into one's own pants / bed. 😏  😄

OK, I hope that my explanations were helpful.  Thanks for your attention.

Interestingly, when I was in the USMC, we always used the term "Mount up" for vehicles (including AAV's), embark for ships, and one or both for aircraft, so I agree with Shorker on this.

"And, in a second, colloquial and somewhat wider meaning, it can also be said for peeing into one's own pants"

I saw a show on the war in the Pacific where a Marine veteran of three previous amphibious landings (one of which was Tarawa) was making a landing on Tinian. He said he was so terrified that he immediately pissed his pants. I'm sure this was not uncommon in ANY amphibious landing.

Edited by Vet 0369