Danger! DirectX 7.0a death..

Ok, I've been reading 90% of the posts on this board for 6 months and this is the first time I have had anything constructive to add that might not get me flamed..so here goes:

I recently downloaded the bleeding edge version of DirectX, 7.0a, and now when I run my beloved CM demo I get the dreaded "black screen of death". And of course I can't go back and just install the original DirectX 7.0 because of the new version.

Just wanted those game making deities at BTS to know and possibly hear of a workaround short of format and reinstall.

Thanks to all who help.

Mike

Guest Ol' Blood & Guts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MantaRay:

Try changing your video and sound drivers. Even if you have the "newest" ones, reinstall them anyway. I have a DV 770 Ultra and had to install NVida drivers, instaed of Diamonds latest ones.

Ray

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ooooo, I've had a copy of DirectX 7.0a, but haven't installed it. I also have a DV 770 Ultra. Good thing I haven't installed it!

I've been running DirectX 7.0 since it came out, but not 7.0a.

With all the problems I've seen with DX7, but not running into any thing except Talonsoft's InstallShieldn problems. I've decided not to install 7.0a.

But are you aware that Diamond just released new drivers for the Viper series 550, 770, etc. like a week ago?

[This message has been edited by Ol' Blood & Guts (edited 02-09-2000).]

Guest Madmatt

I too have a Viper 770 and run DirectX 7.A and have reported no fault with them. I have also used every Detonater driver (Nvidea Reference Drivers) revision from 2.08 all the way to the current beta .0376. I have also experimented with the native Diamond drivers but get better performance and stability through the reference drivers myself.

Often with a installation of DirectX (any version) you will need to re-install both sound and video drivers to re-gain stability. DirectX 7 is actually quite stable and many new programs require its prescence for proper functioning.

Madmatt

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

combathq.thegamers.net

I installed DirectX 7.0a and it runs without problems. For the moment... frown.gif

It won´t help much now wink.gif but you can make a copy of the Windows-catalogue with a different name. It uses ~200 Mb.

When the s##t hits the fan you can boot from a diskette, change names between the copy and windows and reboot. It has saved me a few times. smile.gif

Command prompt:

C:\xcopy windows wincopy /k/h/e/v/c/q/r

*When* there is problem: boot from a iskette, rename (ren) windows to something else, rename wincopy to windows, reboot.

And it´s a good idea to keep a fresh copy of Windows, otherwise things could get *interesting*

Hmmm...I better check my harddisk... redface.gif

Wow, a lot of V770 owners here...

I've definately been pleased with the card

(accept someone STILL has to write linux drivers for it)...

thanks for the warning about 7.0a

*says to himself "I will not get into mac/pc debate... I will not get into mac/pc debate..."

ok the urge has past...

ne-wayz... there are two products about the come out that I am dying for.

1- Combat mission

2- 1ghz Athlon wink.gif (damn AMD, They have the chips already... they're just delaying the release for profit reasons)

oh well..

Good things come to those who wait...

or at least that's what some wise old guy said a long time ago;P

-EridanMan