Who would like to see a Cm Magazine

One of the things I liked most about asl was the yearly mag the asl annuaal .Would anybody else be interested in a magazine dedicated to Cm .I remember Nova star games had one for Steel Panthers .What format would you like to see monthy fanzine with maybe 8 to 10 pages and a couble of senarios .Or something bi-yearly .Maybe if we express enough interest someone will do it . I now ther are plenty of sites on the internet but want something to read on the train .

Well, this subject came up before, kind of, and at that time, I offered to do some work on a newsletter. But at the time no one seemed interested. The problem is that it's too easy (and cheap) to start a website that covers the same sort of thing a newsletter would. My own opinion is that it still would be fun to get something physical in the mail periodically that I could read that had all new articles and information. I'm kind of curious now as to how many others would be interested. If there seems to be enough general interest in this sort of thing, I'll whip out QuarkXPress and get some designs going, get in touch with the appropriate people, etc. If not, I'll just keep playing CM smile.gif

------------------

In fighting and in everyday life you should be determined though calm. Meet the situation without tenseness yet not recklessly, your spirit settled yet unbiased. An elevated spirit is weak and a low spirit is weak. Do not let the enemy see your spirit. -- M.M.

Yes, but probably more net-savvy. At least we all know how to order from the net. wink.gif

Nonetheless, I'd subscribe to a newsletter.

Sten

------------------

Keep your whisky on the rocks and your tanks on the roll.

Hannibal: You should start moving getting a format together. I am pretty sure BTS would throw in a tib bit or two on some issures. This is what I think the mag would like like.

1- Interview or AAR section depending upon what is available.

2- Scenario design corner

3- How to section

4- what if section

5- fictional fan sumbitted war story

6- letters to the editor section

7- scenerio or operation of the week

8- solve this problem scenario

Cant think of anything else right now. I would try and help out where I can.

sniperscope

Guest Kinch

As was said, it so easy to start a web site these days. That's what hurt Novastar I think. There will be a lot of good free material available. But with that said, having a physical magazine to collect would be nice. The publisher may have hard time

making profit if that's the goal. I would certainly contribute. Perhaps a quartetly.

Well, it looks like at least a few people are into it. Just to make sure everyone knows, if anything does get printed it would most likely be a newsletter... magazines for decent size audiences are expensive to produce (worthwhile mags, at least); mags for our relatively small audience would be way too expensive. Without advertising, running strictly on subscription fees, you can't afford to produce something like a CGM or a MacAddict.

Anyway, all that is just to say I think if we do any kind of physical printing, a newsletter is the way to go. Now I'm willing to start putting together a design and work on some other things (like lining up a printer). I doubt if I would contribute too much in the way of AARs or info myself, seeing as how I'm kind of a newbie to the wargame world. But it shouldn't be any problem getting the knowledgeable people to contribute.

Now if people are really serious about this thing, please chime in here and now. I don't want to waste a bunch of time doing a full design only to find out only 20 or 30 people would be willing to pay to make this happen. Oh, and to respond to one of the posts above, I wouldn't be into this to make a "profit," although it would be nice to make a teeny bit of money. But I'll decide if that's possible or if this will be a labor of love when I find out how much it would cost to print, etc.

Oh, and I would like to try having an issue ship every two months. But that will also depend on cost. I'm not sure what it will cost to do an 8-10 pg. or larger newsletter (with varying factors such as color, paper quality, etc.), so we'll have to see. But whatever happens will be up to you guys. If this thread fills out with a huge amount of people who want this done, I'll start working this weekend. If not, I'll spend the weekend killing tanks wink.gif

So, does anyone have a good suggestion for a name? smile.gif

------------------

In fighting and in everyday life you should be determined though calm. Meet the situation without tenseness yet not recklessly, your spirit settled yet unbiased. An elevated spirit is weak and a low spirit is weak. Do not let the enemy see your spirit. -- M.M.

[This message has been edited by Miyamoto Musashi (edited 06-30-2000).]

I sell for a printing company in the Midwest and could get the newsletter printed and mailed cheaply.

Let me know if you are interested.

------------------

------

"When you're wounded and left on Afghanistan's plains, And the women come out to cut up what remains, Jest roll to your rifle and blow out your brains, An' go to your Gawd like a soldier."

Kipling

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Quigybo:

I sell for a printing company in the Midwest and could get the newsletter printed and mailed cheaply.

Let me know if you are interested.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Definitely... if enough people are interested, we can talk about it further. By the way, where in the Midwest?

------------------

Guest Madmatt

Hmm, an interesting idea to be sure. So tell me, potential subscribers/readers, purely HYPOTHETICALLY speaking, what sort of features/coverage would you want in such a newsletter?

[Note: use of the word Hypothetical in this case actually means that a parallel idea has long been in production and what I am really trying to get out of you is some free market analysis!]

Would this be a CM specific venture or general wargaming? Would you want it to cover the gaming market at large or just computers? All historical periods or just ones with associated wargames? Online or Print? Subscriber based or advertiser (free) focused?

What sort of features would you like to see? Reviews on new releases and technology? Tactical and Operational Articles perhaps? How about Personality Profiles? How about an associated website with online patches and features to help promote the newsletter? Scenario design/editor features?

I am VERY curious (and so are my investors! wink.gif ) in what you would like to see... Please continue this thread with your input or email me directly. I would like to get a public discussion on WHAT YOU want to see though! MM, seems like we need to talk! wink.gif

Thanks for your time and comments...

Madmatt

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

CMHQ-Annex, The Alternative side of Combat Mission

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

Proud members of the Combat Mission WebRing

Madmatt: besides the items I posted earlier a detailed account from BTS as to how CM came into being. What actually happened between BTS and A** hole Hasbro to give up the greatest land based war game to date. A story as to how the beta group was picked. A section on weapons systems and how they are portrayed in CM. The scoop on CM2 and on and on and on and on and on etc.

sniperscope

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Madmatt:

a parallel idea has long been in production

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ugh, beaten to the punch by Madmatt... what a surprise smile.gif

I'm not exactly sure what everyone would be looking for as features, but as I was thinking about this earlier today and getting my thoughts straight (oh, and to answer the other question, my idea was to do a CM-only letter, but if the people want a general wargaming deal, then that's what the people get... smile.gif ), I figured it'd be nice to have at least a detailed AAR, a scenario designer tip or article of some sort, and a nice war story from the CM front lines, along with a smattering of other stuff I haven't thought of yet. But this was only a tiny seed of an idea in my tiny brain wink.gif I'm sure you've got a much more solid framework if this has been planned for a while already.

By the way, Matt, what do we need to talk about? And who are these investors? And... and... oh well...

------------------

Guest Kinch

Yes, I would like to see "designers notes"

too. See the post above. Perhaps

this should be a separate thread. Perhaps not. I would be interested in the the

modeling of combat and the assumptions made

(or not made). The whole story ... begining to end, without propritary info of course.

- Kevin

I've been disappointed in the things that are available both on the magazine shelf AND in cyberspace regarding my hobby of wargaming. It seems to me that the hobby, and not just CM, needs offerings from folks who are completely bitten by the bug, too. I don't get that sense of comeraderie at all from the websites we're forced to visit to read about what's new in wargaming.

As far as scope, I'm purely a computer wargamer, but I'd love a site/newsletter zervice to tell me about other aspects of the hobby that I'm not familiar with... anything from boardgames to miniatures.

I enjoy AAR's, articles on scenarios/design, and historical perspectives on battles and campaigns. And, while I mostly tackle WWII stuff, the Civil War, WWI, Korea and Vietnam are all areas that I'd love to know better.

I think of the wargaming community as a smallish, spirited club of bright folks that enjoy intelligent release. It's about time someone catered to us!