PC Gamer to Review CM

Well, I can post their 'Final verdict' portion. they list the % they give it, a few PROs, a few CONs, and a bottom line. Would that help?

------------------

The worst part of any conflict is peacekeeping, it is the time when only one side may fire.

Well as a person who thinks that SPWAW and Combat mission are both the greatest games of the year.. If its the next issue of PCGamer is the full version of SpWAW 3.0

And even if you like CM better, SPWAW is free for gods sake.. (thank god I dont have to screw around with Univesa drivers on my Voodoo3 to play sp1)

cward, my bad. PC Games was the magazine that called SPWAW the best wargame of the year, not PC Gamer. Anyway, I'm not dissing SPWAW, I'm sure it's a fine game. But having played SP1, 2, and 3, I'm struggling to envision SPWAW being better than CM. Besides, you cannot call something the best of the year when the year is only half over. Especially when CM was coming/is here. That was my point in my email to the author.

SPWAW *IS* free, but it's also a 300 MB download. Not even gonna go there on my 56k modem. Take too much time away from playing CM smile.gif.

Regards

I consider PC Gamer to be the best print source for PC game info/reviews in the US. Note that that's IMHO, "print," and "in the US". That's a large part of why it's the only print magazine to which I subscribe.

That said, I thought Trotter's review for Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord was right on the money, except for listing Multiplayer Options as "None" instead of "PBEM": maybe e-mail isn't considered "multiplayer" these days (or maybe it's just a typo), but I sure have been enjoying PBEM.

Generally William R. Trotter's reviews/columns are of value to grognards/serious players. He usually knows a good design when he sees one. One of his previous columns drew fire for suggesting that grognards were too picky (I know what he's driving at, that's why I buy somewhat marginal wargames), but I also believe that the market (even one as small as the grognard market) must have standards, which is why I don't buy "below marginal" wargames. However, more often than not, his column is a positive source of games worth looking into (if not necessarily to buy).

Anyway, I consider him to be the wargamer's best friend in print when it comes to PC games, and thought he was right on target with his CM review (except for the PBEM issue previously mentioned).

The overview as printed in the magazine:

91% (Editors' Choice - defined as "We're battening down the hatches and limiting our coveted Editors' Choice Award to games that score a 90 or higher. It's not easy to get here, and darn near impossible to get near 100. Games in this range come with our unqualified recommendation, an unreserved must-buy score.")

HIGHS: Real warfare in 3D; lots of features; forces you to master real tactics; splendid manual; great fun.

LOWS: Currently, there is no TCP/IP mode; some graphics compromises.

BOTTOM LINE: Fresh, and innovative; breathes new life into tired and increasingly cranky genre.

"...our unqualified recommendation, an unreserved must-buy..."

Not bad, huh?

Wendell

[This message has been edited by WendellM (edited 07-28-2000).]

Fionn, since your such a big CM dude I'll give you a cool tip.

Go to efax.com. For free you can sign up for a service whereby people can send a fax to a unique number (in the U.S) which is then automatically converted to an e-mail and sent to you. The downloadable viewer lets you see and print out the fax pretty much exactly as if you have a machine. I've used it for a year and other than the occasional sales pitch for the improved version for $ it's been great!

Of course it would be a pain to send a fax from Ireland but at least your US friends can send them.

OTOH I would like to point out that getting a copy of the article without buying the mag is no different from pirating CM.

[This message has been edited by DrD (edited 07-29-2000).]