HEART OF DARKNESS - MISSION 6

Mission 6 features the Brits and their fun light vehicles again - along with some light armor (Scimitars etc.)   It's a night mission to search/secure a bunch of buildings in the town of Sangin - again, one has to preserve the buildings so will have to be more careful about that.

(WEGO - ELITE)  The varied mix of Brit light vehicles is wonderful (Sultans, Scimitars, Jackals, WMIK's etc).  It's good to have another (sorta) Combined Arms mission after all the inf-heavy ones.  Another feature that is good re Dragonwynn's designs is giving generous time to accomplish objectives. So, no forced unsafe mad dashes.  One can focus on minimizing friendly losses.  Xnt.

********  SPOILERS  *********

The set-up zone extends across the entire friendly map edge.   However, all at start units are set up on the right and center roads.   Reinforcements are shown to enter the LHS road.  However, the RHS road looks too easy for the enemy to ambush.  So changed the default set-up so as to attack up the left and center roads, leaving the right road completely alone.  Can swing towards the right hand side objectives after the left and center objectives are secured.

Didn't see the point of sending the Jackal recon vehicles up the roads at night.  So, dismounted all recon vehicles and sent em in on foot with 50m arcs.  Used the Scimitar recon light armor as back-up along with the vehicle mounted AGL's and MG's (both of which are also dismountable and can be used as foot units!). 

Used some of the copious Brit 2IC and Support units to man the Jackals - so their 50cal's are also usable in support of the recon units.

The plan worked well as the Brits are well-equipped with night vision.  Enemy was easily spotted in trenches.  The Scimitars only have 39x30mm HE shells(!) and 169x30mm AP shells which is the wrong way around for this kind of combat.  (Maybe should have had a different load-out in the editor?) 

So, whenever possible am saving the Scimitar HE ammo and using the many FO's to kill enemy with 81mm (2 min to FFE).  Have used the larger offmap HE (6-8 min to FFE) to lightly target the towns with area fire simply to keep the enemy heads down - but without doing much damage since that (again) is a big no no in terms of ROE.

30 minutes into this 2.5 hour mission:

Have used engineers to breach walls of the first 3 town objectives on the left and center.  Company B (the reinforcement) will take the left towns and work to the right.  Company B is taking the center towns and will work over to take the right hand towns. 

HE has done most of the killing - with one Scimitar only providing useful fire for ~20 seconds (used 8 of its 39 HE shells!).  Inf has been good at taking out enemy on roofs and in buildings.  Generally, I don't prep fire much as I always worry about Brit lack of ammo resupply.  And I intend to only use the total of 24 eng charges to breach walls - avoiding using em to enter buildings when doors are available.

Seemed to have killed many Taliban with maybe 4-5 friendly inf losses so far. 

Edited by Erwin

*************** SPOILERS ********************

This game ended abruptly with 1 hour 30 minutes left on the clock, after only one hour of play time.  The Taliban surrendered but I still only got a DRAW(!).  Don't understand the result as all was going well.  Maybe the player is expected to be even more careful and lose zero Brits???  (Either that or the Victory Conditions need to be adjusted.)

I had cleared all but two of the walled villages and found it easy to clear the buildings.  The Brit night vision seemed to give them the jump every time, and it was rare that any Taliban got a shot off.  I did lose about 8 men clearing the buildings however.  I did not encounter any of the threatened IED's.  I guess the triggermen got shot too quickly.  

I lost a total of 11 KIA and WIA, the worst loss being one of the recon Jackals and its 3-man crew that got too close and got tagged by an RPG.  Just impatience and carelessness on my part.  The Taliban lost about 100 - they only had about 40 left alive vs approx. 340 Brits plus all their vehicles. 

While it is always fun to have the Brit Scimitars, the Jackals and the various "Landrover" variants - some with Grenade Throwers and some with MG's etc - these vehicles were not that useful. The Brit inf was very effective at spotting and killing the Taliban by themselves. 

I used the vehicles to seal off the blocks at the road junctions per block clearing SOP.  But there never was any enemy counter-attack or attempt at movement.  While the vehicles did kill a few Taliban on roofs, they had no real mission.  The Taliban employed a simple static defense that required a simple SOP to overcome.

At least a DRAW gets one to the next Mission 7...

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 10:40 AM, Erwin said:

The plan worked well as the Brits are well-equipped with night vision.  Enemy was easily spotted in trenches.  The Scimitars only have 39x30mm HE shells(!) and 169x30mm AP shells which is the wrong way around for this kind of combat.  (Maybe should have had a different load-out in the editor?) 

Load out choices do not exist in the editor.