LOS bug or are Green crews suicidal

Has anyone else had a vehicle decide to target through a nearby building, fire, and destroy itself when the round impacts on the building?

The situation was thus:

I had a Green crew in an armored car that I had placed with one flank practically touching a house to give it some cover (ya can't do enough to help those poor quality crews survive long enough to get off a shot!) As an enemy vehicle approaches, I try the "next" target command, which produces the customary red targetting line between the A/C (a German 234/3) and the intended target. While the LOS looks to my eyes like it may be intersecting the building, I know there have been "issues" with LOS and building corners, so if the program says the crew can see the target, I assume that is correct. In the ensuing execution phase, however, the A/C proceeds to slam its 75mm shell into the wall--I guess the LOS wasn't clear after all! The crew blithely reloads, fires and hits the wall again, and this time abandons their vehicle with one of their number a casualty.

I've got the game file--does this sound like an LOS bug I should send to BTS, or can poor quality crews really be so bad as to fire at an obstructed target--more precisely, with something almost literally touching the muzzle and presumably blocking the gunsight!

Jim

Guest Mirage2k

It sounds to me like they had LOS, fired, and their aim was just a little off (twice), hitting the wall.

Or there was a hamster crawling on it, and they panicked wink.gif

-Andrew

------------------

VOTE BLAH FOR PRESIDENT!

Throw me a frickin' smiley, people!

Your one-stop-shop for gaming news is www.SiegersPost.com ! Hit it!

BLAH IN 2000!

Green = new,inexperienced,and quite possibly stupid biggrin.gif

Trust me, I did a stint as Cadre and you just will not believe the depths of stupid some earnest young folks can reach simply by not knowing any better. cool.gif

------------------

Pzvg

"Murphy's law of combat #10, never forget your weapon is made by the lowest bidder

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pzvg:

Trust me, I did a stint as Cadre and you just will not believe the depths of stupid some earnest young folks can reach simply by not knowing any better. cool.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

"the depths of stupid". I love it. I may have to use it some day.

------------------

Ethan

-----------

Das also war des Pudels Kern! -- Goethe

Has anyone else had a vehicle decide to target through a nearby building, fire, and destroy itself when the round impacts on the building?

well I had a german Nashorn do something that IMO borders very close to ritual sebukku...I had a regular Nashorn kill itself while it was hunting for infantry. The infantry was just a few meters away, and the Nashorn fired a HE shell at them with maximum barrel depression. Needless to say the Nashorn killed itself (no other cause possible), and got it's suicide shown in it's kill statistic.

------------------

"Please fix!!! or do somefink" (CPT S.)

Had a regular Marder of mine doing the same stunt in a PBEM with Jarmo a week ago, kills "1 unidentfied vehicles", great. Overall things evened out though, my other Marder killed two Archers and two Cromwells and even survived the battle.

apex

An interesting thread: Wespe Self-Kill

Yes, it seems CM buildings do have 'soft' corners where units can shoot at each other through the edges of the buildings. frown.gif

One oddity I experienced is HE rounds seem more likely to impact building corners than AP rounds. Maybe it was just a small sampling, but I was play testing a scenario I had built where Shermans cross a bridge and then immediately come under fire from an AT gun. The AT gun was blocked from seeing the Sherms cross the bridge by a 2 story building, but could open up after they got across. Invariably, when the AT gun opened up, it was able to fire its AP rounds through the building pretty reliably while the HE from the Shermans would almost always hit the building. It could have been just a small statistical sample, but it definitely stuck out as odd. *shrug*

- Chris