bayonets

dunc

I'm just wondering if people think there would be any point in putting bayonets in the game, for very close combat, as it likes a bit silly when two guys are shooting each other at point blank range.

And yes...I tried a search but it wouldn't work.

dunc,

Actually, the game does model close combat between two opposing forces unlucky enough to exist in the same space at the same time. It is somewhat abstracted in that it compares the combat effectiveness of the units facing off, takes into account their leadership, firearms, grenades, and even melee assets, and then -poof-, instant digital casualties.

It is not so precise as to determine that PFC Johnson perforated Hauptmann Heider's spleen with his M1's fixed bayonet, but it's also not so abstract as to detract from realism.

(There are mods out there that will give your snappy, little grunts the appearance of having fixed bayonets on their small arms, however. Check out CMHQ.)

Clubfoot.

There was this great UK series I saw a few years ago back in NZ called "Decisive Weapons" or some such.

One of the weapons featured was the bayonet, and there was an interview with a UK soldier who was in the Falklands war who spoke of using his bayonet in action. So I'm guessing they're still used.

Cheers,

Alex.

It is my understanding that bayonets were used all the time in the Second World War. If you consider that most of the rifles of the time were very long and bolt-action, you can see that troops engaged in close combat would often find themselves without enough time to recock or reload their weapon before dealing with the enemy around the corner.

Nowadays I don't think many soldiers value their bayonets highly – rifles are too short to use them effectively, and you don't have to reload nearly as often as you used to.

David

I know this doesn't have anything to do with bayonets but is there any chance artillery spotters could be given some sort of close combat weapons. I was playing a tcp/ip game with my brother where he had a battalion of British para and I had basically a reinforced company of gebirgsjagers. It ended up as a complete bloodbath and at one point one of my crews and an arty spotter were in hand to hand with a squad of his guys. I just thought it would have been nice if my arty spotters actually did something.

------------------

There was a long silence of rememberance for the dead, to which I added these names:

Ernst Neubach, Lensen, Wiener, Wesreidau, Prinz, Solma, Hoth, Olensheim, Sperlovski, Smellens, Dunde, Kellerman, Freivitch, Ballers, Frosch, Woortenbeck, Siemenlies...

I refuse to add Paula to that list, and I shall never forget the names of Hals, or Lindberg, or Pferham, or Wollers. Their memory lves within me.

There is another man, whom I must forget. He was called Guy Sajer.