Combat Mission AI limits and potentials

One thing I've noticed with CM games, is that the AI is not reactive. For example, I'm playing the "First Clash" battle in CMBS. Three enemy tanks approach my front line. One is knocked out. The other two proceed to advance in the next turn and are promptly knocked out. I've experienced this many times. 

I've never attempted to create a scenario myself. 

Is it simply because the scenario designer decided that the tanks were going to advance full throttle regardless of whether contacts are made?

Is it possible to create scenarios where the two tanks do instead what is rational (e.g. stop, pop smoke, and reverse)?

46 minutes ago, Pericles said:

Is it simply because the scenario designer decided that the tanks were going to advance full throttle regardless of whether contacts are made?

That is possible. The AI script associate a movement type with each order which ranges from Dash to Max Assault. Given the way that the reaction works for lazer detection for example fast moves are taken to mean that the TC knows best and they are ordering a move to cover and therefore it is better to complete the move order rather than pop smoke and reverse. So, depending on what move order were actually given this could be happening.

You can open the scenario in the editor and check this kind of thing out. Or you can play in scenario author test mode and see the AI issue the actual movement orders as the game goes forward.

46 minutes ago, Pericles said:

Is it possible to create scenarios where the two tanks do instead what is rational (e.g. stop, pop smoke, and reverse)?

On the other hand tanks do not react directly to what happened to their comrades. By that I mean there is currently no mechanism for tank 2 react by popping smoke and withdrawing because tank 1 just brewed up near by. Each tank reacts individually. Having said that what ever brewed up tank 1 is more likely to be spotted by tank 2 because it fired. Once tank 2 spots the shooter they will react. For tanks though the reaction is usually to try to kill the shooter. Lesser vehicles might decide to get out of the way.

Thanks for the info.

So let me get this straight: the only means by which a unit can be alerted and respond to the presence of enemy units and associated dangers are:

1) Direct spotting (including any enhanced spotting that might result from get fired at)

2) Indirect spotting (spotting facilitated by C2 links)

3) Laser warnings

I would constructively criticize the decision to not include:

4) Friendly in proximity to unit gets obliterated

But it must be very difficult to code for that, so it's fine. Still saps much of the realism when a bunch of tanks cruise forward together in plain view. I guess I can blame the scenario designer for that. Anyway, I'll finish it, maybe it will turn out to be challenging. 

1 hour ago, Pericles said:

I would constructively criticize the decision to not include:

4) Friendly in proximity to unit gets obliterated

Pretty much right. #4 does mean the unit's morale will be effected which makes them more and more caustics. And you already noted that shooting at said obliterated unit enhances its chance of getting spotted.