Feature Request - Common Mod Directory

With the release of some mods which are common to a number of CMx2 games, I think it would be quite useful to have "Common Mod Directory".
The mod would then only have to be installed once and would be used across any number of CMx2 games.
An example of such a common mod is the "High Quality Sound 2.6 CMBN, CMFI, CMRT, CMFB" mod, link: http://cmmodsiii.greenasjade.net/?p=4747

Currently, I have this installed 4 times for each mentioned game, at 1.5 GB each, a total of 6 GB.

What I have in mind is that you can define a "Common Mod Directory" path for each game, probably in the "Options" menu.
A suitable path would be for example: C:\Users\<Current User>\Documents\Battlefront\Combat Mission\Common Mods.
Also, this common directory should be read first by any game and after that the specific mods (located where they currently are already) should be read. This way single game specific mods would always overwrite common mods.

In the HQS 2.6 example above I would just install once, at a total of 1.5 GB, and set the path in all 4 games.
It could also work for other mods which are common, but this would take some testing as to see which models / textures are shared between games etc.

Has anything like this been proposed / discussed? Does it make sense?

I have thought of this precisely !!! Whilst dl the HQS mod.. right now me too I have it installed / copied 4 times. So as not to stay copy pasting each time.... 

although I suspect it's difficult to have it done easy by BFC (@Battlefront.com) at this point in time (hope I'm wrong)... I see your point clearly. 

Edited by borg

It seems like it would cause problem when a "common mod" needed to be updated for one game but not for another.

When I think about it, I have all the CMx2 titles and use literally hundreds of mods, but I have two or three that are common to all the games.

29 minutes ago, Holman said:

It seems like it would cause problem when a "common mod" needed to be updated for one game but not for another.

When I think about it, I have all the CMx2 titles and use literally hundreds of mods, but I have two or three that are common to all the games.

Sure sure... theme specific mods will always be specific. But HQS 2.6 is one fine example. Also / maybe all mods can be 'tagged' 

I doubt there would be any chance of tagging being used to determine which game a mod would be used for since that would take a ton of work. However adding a common directory to the search path would at least be concievable. Each game family already has two directories that are searched: the shared (between versions of the same family) mod folder under my documents and a version specific folder under the game install directory. I already make use of that feature where my vehicle mods are in the shared location and my animated text mods are with the install directory so the version specific mods are with the version.

Having an additional shared location for all families would be cool too. I'm not sure how much traction that will get as a feature but cool idea.