TacAI use of canister

2 hours ago, Michael Emrys said:

I don't know what the official specs are either, but I think there are a couple of points worth remembering. One is that they are steel balls which are less dense than lead shot would be and also not very aerodynamic, which adds up to them losing velocity rather quickly. The other thing, which may in fact be even more important, is that as the pattern spreads out it too becomes less dense so that the likelihood of actually being hit also drops off. While I expect that you are right that 80 meters is probably within its useful range, it might not be by a large margin. It would be nice to have some hard numbers and even informed opinion would be good to have.

Michael

The American Arsenal says they are 122 lead balls embedded in a resin matrix and that the "case bursts within 100 ft after discharge". Muzzle velocity is 2500 f/s which is only slight slower than the APC that has 2900 f/s. Agree that the balls would not be not very aerodynamic.

This is from the ordnance manual -  100 feet of the gun and the balls fan out into a cone . shaped pattern with a velocity almost equal to the muzzle velocity of the projectile which is about 1,276 feet per second The penetration of wood, earth, or brick by the balls is very slight . The maximum effective range of canister against personnel is 75 yards .

also says - The canister is used in tank weapons to discourage personnel from approaching the tank

In game I would say if a gunner sees someone in the window of stone or brick house why not use it?

Edited by user1000