Ben Affleck apologizes!

Childress

Both sides of my family owned slaves pre-CIvil War. I feel no ancestral guilt, a barbarous, even Nazi-ish notion in my opinion. But, apparently, Affleck does. To the point of pressuring the host of 'Finding your Roots', Henry Louis Gates, into deleting the embarrassing passage and igniting a mini-scandal. Affleck later manned up and apologized. During the censored interview, he did take pride in a youthful ancestor who joined Washington's army. Yankee superstar, Derek Jeter, learned on the show that he's also a descendant of slaveholders. He found it amusing.

Edited by Childress

2 hours ago, Childress said:

Anyone else on the Forum with disreputable or controversial ancestors? Don't be shy.

Who doesn't have disreputable or controversial ancestors? Country boundaries and wealth disparities are the products of shameless and brutal self-preservation and tribalism, all the way back to when we were swinging in trees, red in tooth and claw.  

I am a white Southerner, so yes some of my ancestors were small-time slave holders. After Emancipation, many whites had black "servants" who were technically free, but in fact were underpaid with few or no options to improve their lot. This condition continued for at least a century after Emancipation, when I left the South and lost touch with current conditions there. Do I feel guilt about that? Not especially, but I do feel that as part of a privileged race there is a responsibility to assist where I can efforts on behalf of backs to achieve educational and employment parity.

Michael

The stain will never be lifted. Sorry, Michael. ;)

Along with thousands of other Americans, our family counts Pochahantas as an ancestor. My cousin is really into it. He's a member of some sort of Algonquin society, posts on affiliated forums and claims to own Powhatan's peace pipe, an unimpressive artifact in my estimation.

On 11/30/2016 at 1:14 PM, Pericles said:

... red in tooth and claw.  

Always loved that expression- so brutally graphic- and assumed it was ancient, but no. Google reveals that it originated with the Darwinist Richard Dawkins in 'The Selfish Gene'. Kudos to him and to you for using it.

4 hours ago, Childress said:

Always loved that expression- so brutally graphic- and assumed it was ancient, but no. Google reveals that it originated with the Darwinist Richard Dawkins in 'The Selfish Gene'. Kudos to him and to you for using it.

Surely Alfred, Lord Tennyson 19th Century, if not before...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_Memoriam_A.H.H.#Nature.2C_red_in_tooth_and_claw 

Edited by Wicky

I remember my father showed us the will of his great-great grandmother. The yellowed document was recorded in Alabama and dated around 1840. In it, she bequeathed eight of her slaves to one of her sons. Each slave was denoted by a first name: Robert, Jack, Betty etc. What struck me the most? Her incredibly graceful and elegant handwriting. 

Sorry, Robert VI.

Edited by Childress

17 hours ago, Childress said:

What struck me the most? Her incredibly graceful and elegant handwriting. 

And many people back then shared that trait. They also could spell and use proper grammar as well, and neither was this confined to those with college educations (a rare thing in those days).

Michael

10 hours ago, Childress said:

None of my business, but did you and sburke share a commune in Millbrook, NY in the early 70s? Or the East Village or Venice, CA?

Never been to Millbrook. I did live on a commune in California from 1972 to 1978. And I spent a year in Venice 1968-69. I doubt that S made it to either place. He can be soooooo unhip.

:lol:

Michael

I applied to a commune but was turned down due, I suspected, to hair. I sported an unkempt afro. At the time flowing locks, Jesus style, were de rigueur. Think the Allman Brothers.

I live a few miles from Venice. It's been yuppified. Single apts go for $2000+. Modern hippies can't come up with the scratch.

2 hours ago, Childress said:

live a few miles from Venice. It's been yuppified. Single apts go for $2000+.

I know. I was back for a visit in 1974 and it had already changed a lot in just that time. I watched the series Californication and if you knew what to look for, you could get a lot of what it is like now. When I was there it was the last of the grand days of its past. It was a marvelous place where every demographic seemed to get along in relative harmony. Except for the cops, who were like sharks.

Michael

21 hours ago, Michael Emrys said:

I watched the series Californication and....

Checked out that show but couldn't get past the opening episode with the nun and you-know-what. However, I wished Breaking Bad never ended- pure brilliance. There are probably hundreds of series set in LA from Dragnet to The Shield, a compelling if brutal experience.

On 12/2/2016 at 2:32 PM, sburke said:

....I tell the Jehovah witnesses I am when they come knocking. 

JWs? They can be relentless and thrive on opposition. My tactic is to declare myself an LDS member in good standing, normally a respectful stand-off ensues. Recently two well-scrubbed young people, a guy, and a girl, showed up at the door. I sniffed missionaries. 'Sorry, I'm LDS', I said smiling. They beamed. Turned out they were Mormons and began bombarding me with questions: really? which tabernacle? who's your bishop? Er, uh. I nearly converted, they were extremely warm and friendly and the girl... wow.

On 12/4/2016 at 0:25 AM, Michael Emrys said:

Never been to Millbrook. I did live on a commune in California from 1972 to 1978. And I spent a year in Venice 1968-69. I doubt that S made it to either place. He can be soooooo unhip.

:lol:

Michael

Damn straight baby, I lived in unhip poor Brooklyn.  Finished high school at a place that I just found out was closed as it ranked worst in academic performance.  Despite that I won the regent's scholarship there.  Now my old neighborhood is total hipster land.  No more old guys hanging out playing dominos in front of the bodega or roosters crowing all the time (I gotta suspect they were for cockfighting).  I had friends in the E Village though squatting (no not that way) abandoned apts.  Saw Venice, Looked far too lame.  The one that got me though was the squatters in W Phila, this one girl slept in a coffin and kept a pet rat.  Wack jobs mostly coming from wealthy parents.

2 minutes ago, sburke said:

Finished high school at a place that I just found out was closed as it ranked worst in academic performance.  Despite that I won the regent's scholarship there. 

Similar experience here, also in NY actually Westchester County. I was struggling academically in my junior year, the bottom 10% of our class according to my advisor, a hopeless case. Out of the blue, I scored as a National Merit Finalist. After this was reported in the school newspaper I lost the few (loser) friends I had. They began looking at me squirrely.

'Damn straight baby, I lived in unhip poor Brooklyn'

Bad timing, sburke. It's now gentrified.